**** DONE: GB-59 1/48 CAC Boomerang – WW2 PTO V

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I cut around the codes on the right side and scraped off the clear carrier film. In the process some of the paint came off so I brush painted over those areas (first picture). This looked good so on the left side I left the carrier film and just painted over it (second and third picture). I then over sprayed it with more dull coat. I'm somewhat disappointed with the results, but it does look mush better then it did. Looking at these pictures I can see the edges of the decals I cut are lifting a bit and I could have gotten closer with the painting then I did so tonight I'll glue down the lifting decals with some Future and paint a bit closer over the clear decal film, especially the "Heo Cat" script.

20231030_213932.jpg
20231030_213946.jpg
20231030_213950.jpg

I came down with Covid last week and have just been getting over it the last couple of days so this post is showing work done last week and today.

First up. The point of attachment for the landing gear was only a shallow dimple in the underside of the upper wing half which would not have been a good joint as well as the dimples not even being in the right place, so my solution was to make new sockets for the gear legs made out of drilled-out sprue bits.

20231112_113054.jpg

The gear legs were glued on right before the Covid hit making a strong joint

20231112_175210.jpg

Yesterday I started feeling better and spent a bit of time at the work bench intending to put the gear covers on the legs when I realized I had made a major screw up, the legs were on the wrong side. The only place the gear assembly is shown in the instructions is shown below. It only shows one leg and is shown on the left side so that's the side I put that gear leg on, but after seeing that the gear covers would not work I looked at a photo of the real thing and saw that the leg shown in the instructions is the right leg.

20231114_085727.jpg

I almost binned the whole thing right then (for about the third time since I began this mess) but instead put it down and went back to bed.
This morning this was my solution.
I took out my x-acto saw and chopped them off, drilling a hole in each as well as the severed gear legs and inserted brass rods and glued them back on the proper sides. The first sections of the gear covers also shown installed.

20231114_085859_HDR.jpg

20231114_085916.jpg
20231114_094219.jpg

True. However it seems that the top parts of the oleos were longer and more "protruding" from the undersides than these in your model. What is more the bottom parts of the shock absorber lockouts were attatched to the wheel fork lower.

caca boom_1.jpg

cac boomerang1.jpg

the pic source: the net.

Glenn my boy you have been through the wars. First up I hope you are much better and on the road to a full recovery with COVID. Second, I admire you staying power, you can't have been feeling too good when hit with these model problems but you stuck it out. Well done you, I think you have done a great job. :thumbright: :thumbright: :D

Well to me........
If they have removed the door from the gear for access to the axle nut, most likely the wings are on jackstands and the gear legs are Extended. I will stick to that scenario! 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back