**** DONE: GB-59 1/72 Brewster Buffalo - WW2 PTO V

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bernhart

2012 Forum Fantasy Football Champion
Jan 9, 2007
Canada
Username: Bernhart
First name: Bernie
Category: non competing
Scale:1/72
Model type: Brewster Buffalo used by USMC Midway

Attachments

• IMG_0858.jpeg
    IMG_0858.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0857.jpeg
    IMG_0857.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
Username: Bernhart
First name: Bernie
Category: non competing
Scale:1/72
Model type: Brewster Buffalo used by USMC Midway

Unfortunately, the Airfix kit isn't the right variant of Buffalo to do a Marine Corps bird at Midway. The Airfix kit represents the F2A-2 while the Midway birds were F2A-3s which had a longer forward fuselage. That said, the Airfix kit isn't very accurate in the nose area, even for a -2, so you may not care that it's not an accurate -3. It's your model and you can build it how you like. :)

A quite simple correction IMHO. The F2A-3 had the front of the fuselage 10" (254mm) lengthened if compared to the F2A-2. In 1:72 scale it is 3.53mm.

bufflo.jpg

Unfortunately, the Airfix kit isn't the right variant of Buffalo to do a Marine Corps bird at Midway. The Airfix kit represents the F2A-2 while the Midway birds were F2A-3s which had a longer forward fuselage. That said, the Airfix kit isn't very accurate in the nose area, even for a -2, so you may not care that it's not an accurate -3. It's your model and you can build it how you like. :)
I bought the Hasegawa Finnish B-239 to build as a USN F2F-(?) years ago. The shop didn't have the F2F. I was going to paint it some kinda' blue and slap some "red dot stars" on it. My after market add ons were to be a bit of stretched sprue for the gunsight. I never got around to finishing it.
IMG_1940.jpeg

Great choice Bernie.
I have the Special Hobby kit in the stash, which likewise is not without it's issues.
(Also built the Revell kit in the early '80s)

BTW, I have a Falcon vac-form canopy set for the Airfix kit spare if you want it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back