Doras Galoras - Unofficial GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

@Wayne - remember; eduard screws up the Radiator Flaps for the D-11, giving you a D-13 Flaps instead; else the thing is awesome!

@Dnied - no probs; thats the point of the forum - and I supposed, while I am waiting for some more Alclad Black, I have the time! I have almost saved this thing; I think! The lower wings are mostly black still (as they'd had one coat of alclad black previous) while the rest of the thing is that lovely, smoothed 800grit wet finish. A few of the more damaged area's have some Alclad White applied to help smooth the surafce, but we wont really know til I get some more black this week.

As for the tediousness of sand/fit/test, obviously after the first one, life gets easier - but is there any kit out there that does not require a degree of sand/fit/test? Especially something as complex as the Eduard! I actually used more filler on my 'builds itself' Tamiya D-9 than on the Eduard D-11; BUT the Eduard kit is one that doesnt give you much room to stray from the instructions!

Which brings me to your question, how would I approach the Eduard kit now? I'd follow the instructions really closely, take my time closing those wing gun doors (they dont want to flush, they need to sit a few thou proud of the wing and I'd double check for flash on the rear of the canopy (my D-11 has just a hit of flash with I didnt notice til colour was going on!). Its not a kit you can really change you mind on, once youve started either!

Oh and, I'd use red decal for the trim tabs - masking RVD bands is enough of a pain in the arse, so doing most of the trim tabs with red decal, then just touching up the edges (before applying the white warmings) makes life much easier!

Back to math homework - then maybe some D-15 :)

Dan

Dale, the only thing I'd do next time is watch that the gun bays line up when I fit the wings. I made the mistake of not checking and rather concentrated on closing the seam on the bottom where the front of the wing meets the engine cowl. The whole thing should have slid back, though there was something in the way stopping that from happening.

Did I just get a Dud Tamiya D-9 then? Because mine was a bit of a nightmare - things were bowed, used a LOT of filler and just generally had a bad experience with it! Hence why the other two that I have are just quietly sitting in a cupboard for no real reason (maybe I should sell them?).

As for the D-15 - STILL no real progress; I do not have any new Primer Microfiller yet (supposedly its in transit) so am at a standstill until I get some more...

Dan

Maybe its just a technique thing then? I have no real problems with the DML/Dragon and Eduard Kits - everyone keeps telling me the Tamiya D-9 is almost as easy as throwing all the parts in the box with some glue, shake it and out pops a D-9! ;)

Called in at Hobby Shop today - still no Black Primer Microfiller... Why hast thou foresaken me, Oh Lord?!?!?!

Dan

already printed.

IMG_0278_zpsf60c04dc.jpg

IMG_0279_zps3b8f0d57.jpg

re check something more panels

IMG_0280_zps2e1c50bf.jpg

Still no Alclad, and thus no progress! I just need one more coat on the nose and wing roots (and a small area of fuselage side that is still a bit iffy), then final construction can begin. The different/additional D-15 reinforcing plates have been drawn up, exhaust mounts have been built inside the nose, attachment points for the engine are there and the brass rod I need for the mounts is ready to go. Just waiting for Alclad to show up... :(

D

advances of the past and present.

first progress yesterday, primer and paint masking with RLM 76,

IMG_0286_zps854fd14d.jpg

if you stay after the second coat of RLM76

IMG_0288_zpsc1fb75e7.jpg

IMG_0289_zps5f0a6f1f.jpg

IMG_0290_zps404dc84d.jpg

IMG_0291_zpse0e055fa.jpg

IMG_0292_zps55bd1b53.jpg

Now what I have just now finished work tonight and I can not proceed further projects.

masked for painting the RLM83 and RLM 75, not very clear that those colors are right that I had driven the 1945 standard for d-9 I found.

I gave the primer a coat of yellow-green (based homemade mixture of yellow and golden olive), and IJN gray, this mosaic of colors have made the coats of both colors.

IMG_0295_zps55812f6c.jpg

IMG_0296_zps90c5fcb8.jpg

some closer detail

IMG_0297_zps5797de9b.jpg

IMG_0298_zps1d4f299e.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back