eBay: Consolidated PBY-5A Catalina

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Only reason I know about the cable is that I have been helping restore a PBY back to WWII config, and had to mount phenolic plates where the cable runs so it doesn't wear through the aircraft skin. The cable is shackled just in front of the nose gear door and runs up to the port side near the nose section so a crew member can open the anchor box and throw out an anchor.
Great knowledge! No matter how you learned something (in your case, dealing with the original - the best possible way), there always will be a moment to share it with like-minded. Isn't this the main reason to participate in such forum?
BTW which particular Cat did you restore?
Cheers!

Great knowledge! No matter how you learned something (in your case, dealing with the original - the best possible way), there always will be a moment to share it with like-minded. Isn't this the main reason to participate in such forum?
BTW which particular Cat did you restore?
Cheers!
Go to the Collings Foundation main web page and click on 'NEWS' at the top of the page. Scroll down through the news and you will find the story of the aircraft that I've been helping with.

3291-2.jpg

On November 9 a B-17 PN9E flew into a visual "white-out" during a search and rescue operation over the Greenland icecap. During the whiteout, the left wings struck the ice. The plane went down and broke into two pieces. The crew survived, although some were badly injured. In the following months numerous attempts were made to rescue the men by ground parties, but they all failed. A Norwegian native, Lt. Col. Bernt Balchen, who was in charge of the search and rescue operations of the USCG, finally proposed the Navy to have a PBY belly-land on the ice cap and evacuate the airmen. It was a bold idea, and one not without considerable risk, for nobody really knew whether the PBY's hull could withstand this type of battering. From February-April 1943, Bernt Balchen and Pilot Lieutenant Bernard W. Dunlop belly-landed a PBY-5A three times on the Greenland ice cap to rescue the downed crew of the B-17. Both were later awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for this heroic act under very difficult circumstances.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm guessing the figures represent rescues. I find it hard to believe that a PBY flew over the Himalayas so what do the camels represent?

CATALINA IIIa (PBY-5A) FP534 ROYAL AIR FORCE

1711623123856.png

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back