eBay: Japanese airplanes and other hardware.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Last edited:
I did - and if one understands how a mortar works, the fin-stabilizers need to be no wider than the launch tube.

It's a bomb that's been mis-captioned.

Not exactly. Your definition is for a mortar type we know quite well today. Generally the mortar is a thrower or a mine thrower that is a type of cannon for plunging fire. There is a couple of types for the kind of fire. These differ in construction. The Japanese mortar Type 98 belongs to the spigot mortars.
The spigot mortar (formerly air torpedo) is a type of a gun in which the shaft (rod) is inserted into the hole in the bullet and is not the barrel itself. It is used to stabilize and direct the over-caliber projectile. The bullet has a structure similar to a shell grenade, but a much larger caliber. The propellant charge was placed in the projectile.

spigot mortar1.jpg

spigot mortar_2.jpg

type 9 mortar_a.jpg

the source: 320 mm Type 98 Mortar | Nippon News

japanese spigot mortar.jpg

the source: Japanese Spigot Mortar

PS. I have criss-crossed my post with the one above. But decided to leave it as a supplement to the info sent by Snautzer01 Snautzer01 .

I did - and if one understands how a mortar works, the fin-stabilizers need to be no wider than the launch tube.

Even more modern projectiles can have flexible stabilizing fins, that as you surely know will extend after leaving the tube. But thats for another topic.

Ok guys, this is the beauty of this forum: even old bastards like me.can still learn stuff.
My apologies to Schnautzer and thanks to Herr Wurger.

I dug down and discovered that it was indeed a mortar. A type 98 320mm mortar to be exact.

I am accustomed to the more traditional types, so I missed this one somehow.

By the way, the Allies called this a "screaming mimi" due to it's inbound sound.

A Couple of photos of a crashed Ki-67 taken at Hamamatsu November 1945

ki671.jpg

ki672.jpg

Regards,

Clint

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
USMC PHOTOGRAPH PELELIU: 25 MM AA GUN (TWIN MOUNT)

1715334353805.png

1715334369972.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back