Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Caption for this image from Tim Mason's excellent book on wartime aircraft testing:

"Lightning I AF106 in June 1942 over Larkhill Camp. Lack of turbo-superchargers (notable by their absence just behind the exhausts) and high altitude handling problems led to cancellation of the British contract by the time the aircraft reached Boscombe. Gas warning diamonds can be seen on the fins". Edit - ahead of the fins, Tim.

AF106 was the only example from the British order to reach the A&AEE, it had no armament and was restricted to 300 mph - no stated reason why, possibly because of the accident rate within US usage of the type owing to compressibility? Handling was described as pleasant although the elevator was heavy. The aircraft stalled at 78 mph with flaps and undercarriage down and recovery was straight forward and flying on one engine was easy and devoid of foot loads on the rudder down to speeds of 115 mph. The colour-coding of the engine controls and the tricycle gear were praised. By this time the testing was purely for research purposes as the aircraft had already been rejected by the RAF.

I vaguely remember reading that Richard Fairey used to fly around in his business suit, could be wrong. I know Keith Park had his own personal Hurricane during his tenure as C-in-C 11 Group Fighter Command and he used to fly around in a white flying suit, but underneath he wore his Number Ones, so he was appropriately dressed in a standard that befitted his position.
I'm almost positive it was Richard Fairey, thanks!

cameraports in the nose and serial numbers
Actually, all of these are F-5, of different types. They were aircrafts of the II/33 (or possibly I/33 depending on the date, if after the group was reorganized) French Recon group. I doubt the picture was taken in Provence, in August '44, as the F-5Gs point to a later date, like Winter 44-45, so closer to the German border. I have one ref. giving this picture as Persan-Beaumont air base, 1945.

8 BALLERS P-38 / F-4 LIGHTNING Prop Engine PAPUA NEW GUINEA stencil propellor detail.

1645527454366.png

1645527468709.png

1645527483542.png

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
FIRST FRENCH AIR CORPS F-5 273

1645826986118.png

1645827050101.png

Last edited:
FIRST FRENCH AIR CORPS F-5

Very nice pictures, which you had already posted a while back in this thread. This aircraft was indeed flown by the Freee French II/33 group and is also much documented in the Johns Philips book about Saint Exupéry (the series of contact prints reproduced in small format). I believe it's the aircraft with the inscription 'Who Cares?" on the port side of the nose. It was most likely painted in Haze Blue, either at the factory or in the UK.

Attachments

• p76b.jpg
    p76b.jpg
    403.3 KB · Views: 56

Users who are viewing this thread

Back