Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jeep

1705922625781.png

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Husslin Hussy 20th Air Force GUAM

1710501908384.png

How were the more complex nose art applied to these aircraft?
This was an era were painting adverts was a normal trade. So by hand . Ask our pirate member Bill N4521U N4521U
I believe . Other more amateur ones could be found so there could be a difference in quility of the painting.
A nice titbid is that seebees in the pto sometimes adopted a plane and had a emblem painted on it. The crew of plane had to agree.
Needless to say that plane and crew got the best from the bees. Important stuff like a shower just for the crew etc. Having handy friends with know how and heavy equipement and tools was handy.

With a brush. There was someone who could do the artwork in most units. Aircrews would pay the artist. Often a maintenance person would be that person and could be backed up with work for months.
I took that much for granted. It's the mechanics of how they did it I marvel at. A B-24 might be easier than a B-17 because of fuselage shape. Still, it had to be a more challenging a canvas than a fighter. Perspective and all that. Would the artist be given special breathing apparatus when illustrating the nose of a Short Stirling?

I took that much for granted. It's the mechanics of how they did it I marvel at. A B-24 might be easier than a B-17 because of fuselage shape. Still, it had to be a more challenging a canvas than a fighter. Perspective and all that. Would the artist be given special breathing apparatus when illustrating the nose of a Short Stirling?
The one I've never figured out was Richard Bong's P-38 Marge! That's freaking awesome.

From what I have read and heard, a man with artistic talent a or sign painter could make money painting art work. He usually began with a photo or Vargas illustration, chalked the layout and painted it. One book said the painter made $20 per panel which was good money before the war.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back