Engineman's WW2 Aircraft Parts Quiz!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Engineman

Staff Sergeant
Dec 26, 2021
Hi everyone! This thread is a bit of fun with Aircraft parts that I have in my collection. I will post a picture, usually with scale and possibly some information to start each quiz. Almost all of my collection is German, British and some American. Of course, some items will be obscure so, I will give each item further clues/photo's as required, especially if the action is really slow. Also, it would be good if interested members might pose good questions that I will try to answer with a sensible reply. I will try to answer questions or guesses ASAP. I hope that this might be a regular thread that builds into a fun read!
So, to start off. This item is extremely, extremely rare, but many people will know of it's engine type! The general clue is that it's size is defined in mm and that dia is less than 150mm.

Happy 2024!

Eng

Attachments

• 01_2914.jpg
    01_2914.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 20
Nice stuff. Db605 piston head perhaps?

Hi Snautzer! Good guess and on the right track. It is a German Aero-engine piston, cut in half as a souvenir by an American engineer after WW2. Not from a DB 605, they are common, but this is a VERY rare item!

Eng

OK I miss read your original post as the Diameter was 150mm not under 150mm. So Bore under 150mm 3 valve heads Possibly a Jumo 210?
Good thinking, and not very common, but not this one!

Eng

This engine could have made a big difference to the air war. It was big and powerful. Not a double engine.

Eng

Poppet valves eliminate the 2 stroke Diesels and sleeve valve engines. So a three valve not all inverted cylinders with under 150mm bore leads me to think a Radial, Junkers 222?
Did someone mention the rarest of things..

Eng

Attachments

• 03_2916.jpg
    03_2916.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 9
So, yes, a Jumo 222 A/B piston. I never thought I would see one but, this was advertised a few years ago without identification and I bought it. You might not be able to read all the stamped info on the face but the long line says, 222.242 001 f FLUG-ABT.IFA- xx
That is the Junkers part number, followed by a small f then the aircraft parts works abbreviated name. The marks x x are a Junkers symbol with the number 53 which is a Junkers QA stamp, and a lozenge shape with the number 17 inside which is a BAL ministry approval stamp. The weight 1253 (grammes) is stamped at the top and the machined finished size of 134.74mm is stamped on the LH top face, but difficult to see on pic. These pistons have a mirrored pocket for the large single exhaust valve edge because some of the cylinders had exhaust on the RHS, some on the LHS.
The engine was a 2,500hp class but, it never made production, despite possibly being ready, or politics stopping it. The A/B engines were discontinued from development in about 1942 and it is likely that they were all reduced-to-produce. I do not believe a 222 A/B exists today, although there is a later one in the museum at Munich.

Eng

Users who are viewing this thread

Back