**** FINISHED: 1/48 SH-3A HS-4 - Carrier Aircraft GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

N4521U

Colonel
Nov 1, 2009
Miranda, NSW
User Name: N4521U
Name: Bill
Category: Advanced
Entry: SH-3A of HS-4 1964
Kit: 1/48 Hasegawa SH-3H converted to SH-3A (with much work!
Accessories : Eduard interior PE. Kit decals and custom made decals, paint masks. Worked out to Plenty of scratch building for the sonar station, with seats in the rear compartment, padding on walls. Boy, did I ever endure a lot of pain over this. Modified landing gear pods, not anticipated. Tail fold scratch built. Swiveled tail wheel.

I was an aircrew member of HS-4 in the early 60's. Discharged before Viet Nam got hot. My goal was to have an example of the SH-34 and SH-3A's I crewed, this will be the 3A. GB#14 is the current HH-60H, the SH-60B ASW version will come later to complete my HS-4 series.
I submit, finally, my SH-3A conversion.

Attachments

• 1964 HS-4 SH-3A.jpg
    1964 HS-4 SH-3A.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 202
  • GB15 SH-3A 1front.jpg
    GB15 SH-3A 1front.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 172
  • GB15 SH-3A 2rear.jpg
    GB15 SH-3A 2rear.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 179
  • GB15 SH-3A 3PrtFrntQrtr.jpg
    GB15 SH-3A 3PrtFrntQrtr.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 204
  • GB15 SH-3A 4StrbFrntQrtr.jpg
    GB15 SH-3A 4StrbFrntQrtr.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 329
  • GB15 SH-3A 5PrtRrQrtr.jpg
    GB15 SH-3A 5PrtRrQrtr.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 185
  • GB15 SH-3A 6StrbRrQrtr.jpg
    GB15 SH-3A 6StrbRrQrtr.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 182
Last edited by a moderator:
I also submit a couple of extra views of mod details.

The scratch built tail fold assembly, and swivel tail wheel.

The PE door assembly, gord ahmighty was that fiddley. ***And them landing gear floatation pods. That, I never expected. But you do what yah gotta do, eh?

And the custom printed decals from my artwork. Shoulda been a bit whiter, but what can you do?

Can't believe I got the buggar done. ****I thank all yous who have been lookin in on this build. And for all your encouragement, it helps one along at times.

Attachments

• GB15 SH-3A 7 tail fold.jpg
    GB15 SH-3A 7 tail fold.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 169
  • GB15 SH-3A 8 pod mod_door.jpg
    GB15 SH-3A 8 pod mod_door.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 171
  • GB15 SH-3A 9 custom decals.jpg
    GB15 SH-3A 9 custom decals.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
Bill you were down to the wire on this one but you got through by the skin of you teeth. A fantastic result and well worth the effort considering all the hassles you had with those paints.
Vaughan

Thanks much guys.

Regarding the paint. When I finished the Pledge to seal the decals, it seems a lot of the Faults of the gray disappeared I am happy with the results.

It does look so familiar when I look at this finished B1RD, I remember them well on the tarmac at Rheam Field, San Diego. HSC-4 is now based at North Island NAS and is designated Helicopter Squadron Combat Four flying the H-60's.

Bill, I missed this earlier. Was scrambling to get mine in.
Excellent work, love the scratching as always, and your firsthand knowledge of the bird lends that certain something!
A fine Hekalopter!
Now we can get on to those F3F's!

Yep I am Karl. Very satisfying to have this in my cabinet. Thanks.
Thanks Paul, and the F3F will be sitting for a bit till I get the F.2b sorted.......
And thanks again Geo, I am a bit drained from the effort to get it under the wire.....

Vic, what the heck???? Are you kidding me? THESE Are the size you were working with?????????
Mine Gottttt. They Can't be. I thought the little envelope was Empty!
And where is Johnny? Surely one of them comes with every hundred fourty?
Holey moley.

You is not wrong me old mate. You need the eyeball of Mad Eye Moody to work with these. A bl00dy good magnifying glass also helps, Johnnie is a last resort and then after a couple'o snorts you end up not giving a……………………………………………………………hoot.

I love how she turned out that red/orange on her is my favorite color on a aircraft :D

It was referred to as International Orange at the squadron. It's very distinctive. I do think it makes the aircraft. The 34J had the Int Or as well. This one will be built and have a sonar console inside as well. I'm a glutton for punishment!

Attachments

• HS-4 34J Dvdsn.jpg
    HS-4 34J Dvdsn.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 129

Users who are viewing this thread

Back