**** FINISHED: GB-41 1/48 Hawker Hurricane Mk XII - PTO from 1937

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crimea_River

Marshal
Nov 16, 2008
Calgary
Username: Crimea River
First name: Andy
Category: Judge – Non competing
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Hasegawa
Model Type: Hawker Hurricane Mk. IIb
Aftermarket addons: Ultracast resin conversion set for RCAF Hurricane spinner/propeller, Ultracast Hurricane MkI exhausts

The subject of this build is Hawker Hurricane 5389 as it served with 133 (F) Squadron, RCAF at Tofino British Columbia in July 1943. Here are the finished pics:

19051901.jpg
19051902.jpg
19051903.jpg
19051904.jpg
19051905.jpg
19051906.jpg

Thanks very much gents.

Really nice Andy - I reckon that the Hurricane is a really hard aircraft to represent as a scale model (don't know why - just seems to be the way), but you've done yourself proud with this one!
:thumbright:

I don't find the Hurricane any harder than others but I do think I over-weathered this one a bit. I tried, for the first time, Tamiya's black panel wash and, though the stuff runs along the grooves beautifully, it seems to be aggressive with their own brand of paint. They say to wipe off excess wash with a cotton swab soaked in their X-20 thinner but I found that doing this dissolved the paint layers. So, one must be very careful with the stuff. You can see that the gun bay covers stand out quite a bit. That's because I tried to tone down the effect of the black wash by overspraying the panel lines with the original paint colour but this seemed to result in a change in colour of the paint. At this point, I decided to leave it all alone rather than risk making a cock-up of everything. It's the one area that I wish turned out differently but it's acceptable to my eye.

I can tell you that we have not already told you, my friend! ...
great work, excellent performance and development, hyper-detailed information, all your work worthy of great applause and sincere congratulations ....

Fantastic looking Hurricane. I found the same result using Tamiya's thinner and went to odorless paint thinner. I haven't purchased the black yet, just dark brown and the two greys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back