Flying Tiger P-40 Tomahawk

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi Aaron -- It's actually a C model that belongs to the Flying Heritage Collection in Everett, WA. Their website states, "It was purchased by the British and then given to the Soviet Union in September, 1941, under the Lend-Lease (armament-sharing) program. For nine months this airplane spent its combat career in the skies over the Karelian battle front in Russia, defending Murmansk against invading German forces. On September 27, 1942, the craft's the oil tank was punctured by enemy fire. Its pilot managed to glide the aircraft to a belly-landing near Murmansk, where it was abandoned. It is the world's only remaining P-40C in flying condition."

Volunteers there have told me that someday this plane will be painted in its Soviet markings (the current paint is distemper, I believe, and definitely looks temporary). A volunteer once opened an access door on the left side of the fuselage and showed me a bullet hole in a fuselage rib from the above-mentioned shootdown. Very cool!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back