From the pilots view of things.....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This may be of interest. This is a high end shooting glasses frame. The circle holds the lens, the black patch distrupts the vision from the left eye. I have seen light patches rather than black and in some cases just a stick like a matchstick.

http://www.stewardsportsglasses.co.uk/images/championworld4640.jpg

Me I am low cost. I wear normal glasses with the lens adapted to be ideal towards the top left of the right lens and a light cream coloured perspex attached to the sight that covers the forward vision of the left eye.

We have the same center of focus but for both right and left - my lenses are amber, violet and yellow depending not on light, but on background.

I still have Decot Lenses and frames I was given by US Army team (I was not on the team but I was second alternate behind Satterwhite and (Brad Simmons?? can't remember for sure, but he shot a Bauer shotgun), the two Olympic selections for 76 skeet team, and Tom Poston US Army who was first alternate.

We shoot a lot of flyers in LA and Texas and NC where there are frequently oak or pine trees outside the ring in lower light conditions and the grey pigeons are more diffcult to see in that environment. Ditto for shooting skeet and bunker trap and Powder Pigeon at Dallas Gun Club before trees were cut down.

Its interesting as you said with the different approaches to different types of shooting.
To cater for the different light conditions, the actual sight that I use has three variables built into it
a) A polariser filter
b) Coloured graduates
c) An adjustable IRIS.

Its an almost unlimited set of options but in a competition when you have limited time to set up, you can find it a curse. But if you get it right then its worth the effort.

PS It may sound odd but I have never fired a shotgun, its one of those things on my 'I want to do' list

Apologies to all for moving the discussion from what was intended, but I hope it has been of interest.

Just found this pic. Pretty decent view of a Bf 109E cockpit...

Pictures from Tony Wood

Attachments

• bf109cockpit.jpg
    bf109cockpit.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 62
I am left eye dominant and right handed, but I do close my left eye when shooting. Always closing the left eye can however be tiresome in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back