GB-57 1/72 A-36 Apache RCAF - WW2 Foreign Service

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The brakes look a right pain, especially at 1/72. I have not had experience with this but I wonder if etching the parts with a mild acid might help. Cut a chunk off the PE off and throw it in some muriatic acid and see what happens?

Regarding the PE parts and painting ..

there are primers dedicated for them ...

directly for metal ...
mp.jpg

and quite universal ones for both plastic and matal ...

pmp.jpg

And here the diagram with the dive brakers for the A-36 ...

a-36 dive brake.jpg

the pic source: the net.

I have found with PE that giving the surface a rub with a sanding stick to break up the glue side surface helps not only with glue adhesion but also with paint and that you really need to let the paint dry if applying it before placing on the model. Having said, once painted, handle with care, it will chip if roughed up. :D

I have found with PE that giving the surface a rub with a sanding stick to break up the glue side surface helps not only with glue adhesion but also with paint
That's me Vic on all PE then a good primer and paint touch up later.Alan give you credit for the effort going 1/72 PE something in planes I have not done in 20 yrs I bet esp a single seater.I might give a whiz for a nice glass house bomber weras one might could see it but mainly stay and add for 1/48 larger.Keep going it's all part of the curve. :notworthy:

Cockpit is ready to close up. The PE rudder pedals were replaced with a little card and sprue and nobody will see them again. The instruments look good, added some radio stuff behind the seat and didn't break the joystick.
cockpit1.jpg

I sanded all the detail off the kit panel and glued the Yuha panel on top, then braced it in position. There is not a lot of solid contact between these parts.
cockpit2.jpg
cockpit4.jpg

I never knew how flat the pilot sat in this, like the 109.

Non judged bonus build because I'll be painting some of the same colors and will save 5 minutes time.
Scale 1/144 (quantum)
Model Hurricane Mk1
Manufacturer Zvezda Art of Tactic 6173

The markings are for Pilot Officer "Taffy" Clowes climbing into his No. 1 Squadron Hawker Hurricane Mk.I (P3395) at RAF Wittering, in October 1940.
Hurricane_I_1_Sqn_RAF_at_RAF_Wittering_1940.jpg

Hawker-HurricaneMk.I-JXoB-P3395 [800x600].jpg

sprue1.jpg

So far, I have about 30 minutes invested. The entire fuselage is one piece and I am frankly impressed that there are no sink areas even thought it is a "stout" 1/4 inch thick. The wing has 2 small ejector marks that were quickly filled and fit quite well into the fuselage. The tail dry fits with only a hint of gap.
sprue2.jpg

The landing gear have very acceptable detail and offer both gear up and down options. The spinner is yellow because I'm going to try to paint the black and leave the yellow band.

"Help me Spock"

There is no Hornet or serial marking. The decal graveyard will see what might be done about that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back