GB-61 1/48 FM-1 Wildcat - Carrier and Maritime Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Took a breath and fixed the peel-off this morning.

A couple of days ago, I sprayed a clear coat over the area because I planned to lightly mask the white star and red outline. That's where I started today.

24041201.jpg

Next, I mixed up a thin paint recipe to match the blue on the decal:

24041202.jpg

I then carefully sprayed on the blue. It does look like I added a bit too much black but I think it will work.

24041203.jpg

Despite the clear coat, some more of the decal pulled away but it's no big deal. I had painted the missing white section on the star by hand before masking.

24041204.jpg

This is how I'll leave it.

24041205.jpg

In other news, the wheels have been flattened, painted, and installed but I added the brake lines beforehand.

24041206.jpg

Onward and upwards.....

Thanks all.

Well, I knew going in that I could be asking for trouble doing this:

24041301.jpg

Still figure it was worth painting the walkways rather than using the stark black decals. In the end, it worked out on this side:

24041303.jpg

The other side, not so much:

24041302.jpg

The repair was made using a drop of Future applied under the torn decal followed by careful repainting of the damaged area using a fine brush:

24041501.jpg

With that decal...um...experience behind me, a quick oil wash was done to highlight the panel lines and next it will be on to applying a matte coat and more weathering.

Thanks again for joining me on this trek.

Nice work Andy - really hate it when decals don't behave themselves! Do you think a clear coat immediately after peeling off the decal carrier might have made a difference? I have a couple of new Eduard kits coming up in the build list and any thoughts on how to avoid this would be valuable. Cheers! :thumbleft:

Grant Barr Grant Barr , the clear coat was applied over the sections that I didn't peel the carrier film from but it still didn't work. For my comments on the carrier film removal, see posts 162 and 167 of this thread. The issue with applying a clear coat in hopes that it will give better resistance to decal tears is, in my opinion, a false hope. Yes, it might help A BIT but doing this does nothing to fix the poor bond that is the cause of the tear-off. That poor bond will always be there unless you can find a way to get to that layer and inject some kind of binder any force that pulls that weak bond apart will do so, and take the clear coat with it.

So now for more trials. Thinking that the decal issue was behind me, I sprayed a matte coat tonight and then applied another thin coat tinted with a touch of flat white to get some fading going. I like how the finish turned out.

24041502.jpg
24041503.jpg

But alas....one of the decals that I didn't remove the carrier film from (because they didn't stick to the decal underneath) decided to debond itself at one corner. So, here's me thinking that it was a small piece that I forgot to remove so I got the tweezers out and gave it a small tug. Shouldn't have done that.....

24041504.jpg

What now? To minimize the ugliness, I took a scalpel and cut up to the edge of the yellow 2 and peeled the film back to that. You can see that the piece on the lower left corner of the A is still there - that's where I repaired the earlier tear with Future and it's now stuck on.

24041505.jpg

This problem will be tackled tomorrow when I'm in a better mood. I now have to carefully feather the paint edge at the left side of the A and then match the faded clear coat. So maybe we can start GB 62 now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back