GB-61 1/48 FM-1 Wildcat - Carrier and Maritime Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Grant Barr Grant Barr , the clear coat was applied over the sections that I didn't peel the carrier film from but it still didn't work. For my comments on the carrier film removal, see posts 162 and 167 of this thread. The issue with applying a clear coat in hopes that it will give better resistance to decal tears is, in my opinion, a false hope. Yes, it might help A BIT but doing this does nothing to fix the poor bond that is the cause of the tear-off. That poor bond will always be there unless you can find a way to get to that layer and inject some kind of binder any force that pulls that weak bond apart will do so, and take the clear coat with it.

So now for more trials. Thinking that the decal issue was behind me, I sprayed a matte coat tonight and then applied another thin coat tinted with a touch of flat white to get some fading going. I like how the finish turned out.

View attachment 774006View attachment 774007

But alas....one of the decals that I didn't remove the carrier film from (because they didn't stick to the decal underneath) decided to debond itself at one corner. So, here's me thinking that it was a small piece that I forgot to remove so I got the tweezers out and gave it a small tug. Shouldn't have done that.....

View attachment 774008

What now? To minimize the ugliness, I took a scalpel and cut up to the edge of the yellow 2 and peeled the film back to that. You can see that the piece on the lower left corner of the A is still there - that's where I repaired the earlier tear with Future and it's now stuck on.

View attachment 774009

This problem will be tackled tomorrow when I'm in a better mood. I now have to carefully feather the paint edge at the left side of the A and then match the faded clear coat. So maybe we can start GB 62 now?
Thanks Andy - you are, of course, right about the varying bond strengths of the decals v's clear coat. I might have to see what happens when I get to an Eduard kit on the list. Your experiences do not fill me with confidence though... :facepalm:

I do like how this one is turning out - keep up the good work!

As said before, this on is really throwing some curly's your way and I have no suggestions for you but it seems you could be headed in the right direction. As for the faded look, this is how I have often started with fading and I often also add a very light sanding with a 2400 or 3200 grade sanding paper followed by a soft brush dust off. However, before starting any of this, the decal sorting would be my priority. :thumbright: :lol:

Last edited:
Fixed - as best I could. Rather than add white to the clear coat I just feathered the clear into the faded parts.

24041701.jpg

Not sure if I'll touch up the yellow chip on the A yet as it looks like a good spot for paint chip anyway. The orange peel at the wing root will stay. I've not mastered avoiding this yet and, quite frankly, I only see it when I take a magnified picture.

Moving on to the fiddly bits now and should be able to post an update tomorrow. Thanks for the view, comments, and support.

Thanks guys.

We have propulsion.

24041801.jpg

We have illumination.

24041803.jpg
24041804.jpg

The blue lights on the wing uppers are per Squadron Walkaround. Eduard call these up to match the red and green nav lights but I chose to go with Squadron.

The panel lines in the engine area needed a bit more enhancement so I went over them with a sharpened 0.5mm pencil.

24041802.jpg

That's all for today. 'Til next time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back