German mystery fighter?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi Koolkitty,

>The cockpit was also too far foreward to be the 280...

In my opinion, it's a frankensteined and photoshopped Heinkel He 280 kit.

Look at the landing gear for example ... it's exactly the same as on the He 280, but in the He 280 the main wheels retract into the fuselage though this is not possible here due to the fake being a low-wing aircraft. Still, no extended gear cover, no wheel well doors ...

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Well if it is so, then it is a very well done fake.
Look closely at the upper right side propeller blade in the head-on shot.
Looks pretty "tacked on" to me.
The upper photo (port side rear 3/4 shot) is quite convincing though.

Not saying for sure what it is, but I wouldn't dismiss the photoshop theory, either.

...and speaking of theory's, has anyone thought about this?

Assuming for the moment that the photos are real, anyone think the prop could be a fake, to throw off spies or shun any thoughts that its a jet?
We did this very thing with the Bell XP-59.

Elvis

Being skeptical is always the easiest.

Personally I'm very unsure as to wether it's real or not, I mean it would be a masterpiece of photoshopping if it was fake, cause frankly I can't see anything fake'ish about the picture at all.

The cockpit looks like the same as used for the He-280, however the rest looks different. Could very well be an unknown LW a/c which got lost in the war.

In short I'm puzzled really..

The engine arrangement is reminiscent of the messerschmitt Me 155 -the project started in the Bf 109H series, and ending up as the Blohm und Voss Bv155 aircraft
The fueslage and tail arrangement really do resemble the He 280, though.

You mean this one?

bv155bi.jpg

Sure do, my friend :)

Interesting looking beast, only 3 made by war's end (one of which is at Silver Hill awaiting restoration)

The Bv 155V-1 was completed and flown, but was written-off following a crash in the hands of a British pilot.

Take a look at those unusually large supercharger inlets on the BV-155, big yes, but for a purpose. This a/c had an amazing service ceiling of 17km (55,774 ft), a good 5km higher than any Allied a/c and 1.9km higher than the Ta-152H-1.

Yet another a/c at the pinnacle of piston engine a/c designs, a no less than amazing a/c.

BLOHM_VOSSBV155-OH-400.jpg

From 'German Aircraft interiors 1939-1945, Vol.1' by Kenneth A. Merrick (Monogram books- no connection to the model company)

The photo Soren sent is labelled:
'Bv 155V 1, W. Nr.360051 outside hangar 2 at the main Blohm und Voss facility at Finkenwerder,near Hamburg,Germany, late in december 1944. Captured intact at war's end, it was later destroyed when it's British pilot had to make an emergency landing, due to unspecified mechanical problems soon after take-off.'

he also mentions:

The Bv 155A featured wing radiators mounted above the wing and ws not built...

the first three prototypes, the Bv 155 V1 through V3, were allocated to the B-1 series, but only the first prototype was actually flown. The second prototype, the Bv 155 V2 was essentially 90 percent complete when captured by British forces, while the V3 was only 75 percent complete when the war ended...

The V2 was exhibited at RAE Farnborough in late 1945. The ultimate fate is unknown, but it has been suggested that the military offered the V2 to the British Aviation Industry for further testing and evaluation. Whether or not this offer was actually made, or accepted, is unknown.

Regarding the wing radiators, the port radiator was dedicated to cooling the oil for the engine, after cooler and intercooler. The starboard radiator served to cool the engine coolant.

Sole survivor: Bv 155 V3, National air and Space Museum facility at Silver Hill, Maryland, USA

16,880m did the BV-155A ever get into service? I remain a little bit skeptical if this is a German paper claim as they produced a lot of drawings of so called miracle aircraft and weapons that never came to fruition.

16,880m did the BV-155A ever get into service? I remain a little bit skeptical if this is a German paper claim as they produced a lot of drawings of so called miracle aircraft and weapons that never came to fruition.

The Bv 155V-1 flew on Sept 1, 1944.

The Bv 155V-2 flew on Feb. 8, 1945 and obtained an alltitude of 16,950 m (55,610 ft) and a speed of 690 km/h (429 mph).

Below picture is sources as on photo:

Attachments

• bv 155.bmp
    331.3 KB · Views: 127

Users who are viewing this thread

Back