GrauGeist's Photos

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well, I have to use a lens with an Image Stabilizer, I can't see me hitting anything with a BB gun, unless it had a stabilizer. Waite, I have a Remington 12 gauge. :oops:

Thanks everyone for all the compliments! Sometimes I might get busy and forget to reply, but I never forget the compliments, and I appreciate everyone taking the time to check out my photos!

What these two photos are, is an example for Aaron on a neat technique that I use on mostly floral subjects. Playing with light and shadows can transform a regular flower into something really cool. I posted a Poinsettia leaf a while back doing this. You could even try this with something the grill radiator ornament of a '34 Duesenberg for example, or anything for that matter. The larger the subject, and the further away the subject, the more difficult this technique is.

I went out and took two quick shots of a Spider plant bloom. While it's not a real exciting flower as far as flowers go, it becomes an unusual subject when I adjust the shutter speed and darken the surroundings.

The first photo shows the image taken at 1/4000, aperature automatically adjusted to 5.6 in the bright sunlight (slightly overhead, time taken was about 2:00 p.m.) and the lense I used was my Sigma 70-300 in Macro mode and the distance was about 3 feet. Any lense should work, but it seems that Macro lenses give a much better lighting effect.

The second photo was taken moments later, when I adjusted the shutter to 1/350, aperature coming up to 6.5 and shows that the background really wasn't dark at all, but was leaves of trees across the way. I know this second photo washed out, but I wanted to show the true background while it shows how shutter speed can really change a subject.

The shutter speed can be slowed down a little to increase the light (3000, 2000, etc). Play with the settings a little and see how that works out! :thumbright:

Attachments

• IMGP7493.jpg
    IMGP7493.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 77
  • IMGP7494.jpg
    IMGP7494.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
As Aaron said great shots Dave, and thanks for sharing the information, this will come in handy. I have been taking quite a lot of flowers, to many to post. Using the macro I have a problem with a slight blur by hand holding. I guess I'm just to lazy to use the tripod.

Thanks guys, glad you've enjoyed them!

My co-workers thought I was nuts, just sitting in the middle of the field like I was, but I chose a cluster of plants that looked promising, sat down and kept still. Pretty soon the bees came back and went about thier business. I was in no hurry to get any shots, I just left the camera on Program Automatic, using my 100 m/m Macro and fired away. There were plenty of missed or out of focus shots, but on the otherhand, I scored some really nice ones as well. These two are the most interesting, as they have good colors contrasts, plus the bees are in really good positions.

The upper photo would have been nicer if the shutter speed was a bit faster so it would have froze the bee's wings, but hey, I killed about a half hour and dumped a ton of work-related stress...

I'm not gonna complain! :thumbleft:

Great shots dave, Bees are a real challenge to get a good shot, well done. 8)
Thanks!

Here's another one from the other day...just cropped it is all :)

Can't wait for the airshow on Saturday...the camera is all cleaned up, got a bunch of fresh batteries and a fist full of memory cards! :lol:

Attachments

• IMGP7777-cr.jpg
    IMGP7777-cr.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back