Grumman F8F Bearcat or P-47?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I believe a few Bearcats suffered structural failures while in French service in southeast Asia. Would have to dig more on that. F8F Bearcat post-WWII service
In "modern" times (June 1971), Bill Fornoff's F8F-2 wing failed (upper spar cap strip failed under tension due to fatigue, thus under negative g) during the pullout from a loop during very rough air conditions. Accident Grumman F8F-2 Bearcat N7700C, 05 Jun 1971

I flew with Bills son a few times, Eagle Weapons School Graduate.

I'd prefer the F4U over the P-47 primarily because the F4U can operate from both land airfields and carriers... while the P-47 was purely land-bound.
Not purely.

p47launchlg.jpg

"Razorback" P-47Ds of the 333rd Ftr. Sq. prepare to launch from aircraft carrier Sargent Bay off the Marianas on 18 July 1944

http://www.ww2wings.com/wings/heroes/durwoodwilliams/333rdhistory.shtml

Not purely.

View attachment 597758
"Razorback" P-47Ds of the 333rd Ftr. Sq. prepare to launch from aircraft carrier Sargent Bay off the Marianas on 18 July 1944

http://www.ww2wings.com/wings/heroes/durwoodwilliams/333rdhistory.shtml

The source I have states that picture is in fact the USS Natoma Bay taken on the 22 June 1944 during a ferry mission to Saipan, carrying P-47Ds of the 318th Fighter Group.

The USS Sargent Bay did ferry P-47Ds on the 18th of July, but I believe those aircraft were off-loaded like normal cargo.

And I personally wouldn't call a few isolated catapult launches as actual carrier operations. The P-47s involved in the now infamous actions on the 22nd and 23rd of June 1944 were being ferried for land basing in the Marianas and could have never recovered back aboard ship, which is an integral part of carrier operations IMHO.

Interestingly enough, during the war there were seven US Army fighter squadrons which launched from carriers in the Pacific Theater:

-P-36s to Hawaii in February 1941,
-The 73d FS to Midway in P-40s in June 1942,
-The 45th FS to Kanton Island and 72nd FS to Makin in P-39s in December 1943,
-The 19th, 73d and 333d FS's to Saipan in P-47s in June 1944.
(The Makin and Saipan operations were catapult shots).

Source: 318th Fighter Group - Wikipedia

Last edited:
I don't think we can accept failures after 1945 as examples of the fragility of the design. Certainly not something from the 70s. They were never intended to last so long.
I believe a few Bearcats suffered structural failures while in French service in southeast Asia. Would have to dig more on that. F8F Bearcat post-WWII service
In "modern" times (June 1971), Bill Fornoff's F8F-2 wing failed (upper spar cap strip failed under tension due to fatigue, thus under negative g) during the pullout from a loop during very rough air conditions. Accident Grumman F8F-2 Bearcat N7700C, 05 Jun 1971

Really an apples to avocados comparison. The Bearcat (inspired by the FW 190!) was built as a fleet defense interceptor with a spectacular rate of climb. I knew both USN test pilots who held the record, on the order of 90-95 seconds from brakes off to 10 grand. Obviously that feature was irrelevant to ground attack, along the lines of the 47's supercharged high altitude performance.

You mean these two guys?

Bill & Butch.JPG

I'm not quite sure when this false narrative developed, but it seems to persist even to this day. The idea was to mate the most powerful engine available to the smallest possible air frame in order to maximize performance. This concept was embraced in Europe early on, especially by the Soviets and Germans. It was an entirely new way of thinking for Grumman so maybe this is were the connection was made, but it's only a guess on my part. And even though the F8F was a brand new design, being both smaller and lighter than the F6F, the Grumman pedigree is still very easy to see.

Pitty that VF-19 didn't get the chance to at least use their new "toy" in combat before war's end (they were on their way to Japanese waters the week before the A-bombs were dropped). With the US Navy moving on to jets to fulfill it's role by the outbreak of the Korean war, it would be the French who ultimately gave the F8F it's baptism of fire in Indo-China.

Perhaps this might be a case of reverse "Zero-itis". If it was a low wing radial engine fighter, it was a Zero. This time because the Bearcat looks kind of like the FW-190, it must have been inspired by it.

Pratt & Whitney were flying a P-40 with a two stage R-1830 for a good part of 1942 and 1943 less than 100 miles from the Grumman factory. P & W were suppling the engines for the F6F and F7F (not to mention having supplied the engines for the F4F). This radial P-40 hit over 380mph in testing (without guns or protection), Is it too difficult to believe that P & W told Grumman about some of the engine installation details used in this aircraft? Like the ejector exhaust?
F8F used the "C" series R-2800 to start (used about 10% less air for cooling than the "B" series in the F6F) but P & W and Grumman needed to look at a Fw 190 to figure out the low drag cowling?
How many planes (different types) had flown or were being built with R-2800s when work on the F8F started?

I agree with Shortround6 and SaparotRob's points above that much of the myth is based on the similar size and body types. There was nothing unique about the idea of crafting the smallest body possible around the largest engine or for that matter the desire to improve the aerodynamics of the engine cowl and cooling. To me, the Bearcat represents a clearly defined set of design objectives: speed to intercept (carrier based take off and climb to engagement) and low and mid-level air superiority for the purposes of fleet defense. I have read somewhere that the Bearcat was intended to be able to work from smaller carriers hence part of the desire for the short take off run and smallish size. I also recall that the Bearcat (as well as the F2G) were desired to counter the growing kamikaze threat hence the emphasis on climb and engagement at lower altitudes. In its conception, the Bearcat is really a point defense interceptor rather than an all around combat fighter. One last thought about the FW190. I would be curious as to how much wind tunnel time went into the design of the F8F. The Grumman design team was quite capable and I'm sure that the design of the F8F benefitted from a good amount of wind tunnel testing rather than cribbing someone else's design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back