He 100,Space age construction?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nodeo-Franvier

Airman 1st Class
Jul 13, 2020
Wikipedia entry for He 100 have the following

To ease production, the new design had considerably fewer parts than the 112 and those that remained contained fewer compound curves. In comparison, the 112 had 2,885 parts and 26,864 rivets, while the P.1035 was made of 969 unique parts with 11,543 rivets. The new straight-edged wing was a source of much of the savings; after building the first wings, Otto Butter reported that the reduction in complexity and rivet count (along with the Butter brothers' own explosive rivet system) saved an astonishing 1,150 man hours per wing.

I assume that Heinkel was hardly unique in trying to simplify the construction of their fighter,How much did the next generation fighter such as P-51/FW190/P-47/P-38 took this into consideration?

Last edited:
I wonder if they really meant exploding rivets, or was the word mistranslated from expanding rivets.
I seen real exploding rivets that were used on old trucks to attach new brake material to the old brake shoes.
They saved time, and they actually did explode when you heated them with a solder gun like device.
Fast, but not cheap, and loud, like a small firecracker going off.

The old reliable "Standard Aircraft Handbook" shows exploding rivets as one type of fastener, but I never knew anybody actually used them. Good info!

Attachments

• Explosive rivets.JPG
    Explosive rivets.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 3
The old reliable "Standard Aircraft Handbook" shows exploding rivets as one type of fastener, but I never knew anybody actually used them. Good info!
Would the residue from the combustion be corrosive?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back