Heavy fire tanker crash in Australia

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Extremely sad. There are truly decent human beings in this World - they came from overseas to help us in our bushfire crisis and died in the process. My sincere condolences to all concerned.

Thanks, a good video without the usual greenie/global warming bulldust (and yes mankind is causing climate changes but that is not the cause of these fires).
There are rumours here that this may be the third C-130 tanker to lose a wing. I hope not, but if true that will be the end of C-130's as fire bombers.

Perhaps new (stronger) wings to handle the turbulence involved in a water bombing run?
And if you're bombing a fire, your engines are breathing smoke: How well does the turboprop recover from transitory oxygen starvation?

The wings of the C-130 has always been it's achilles heel. There have been several incidents involving structural failures around the wing structure. The USAF had several TCTOs to rework the wings on older C-130s. Some civilian operators have neglected or ignored this TCTO with disateratious results.

Perhaps new (stronger) wings to handle the turbulence involved in a water bombing run?
And if you're bombing a fire, your engines are breathing smoke: How well does the turboprop recover from transitory oxygen starvation?

This has nothing to do with turbulence during fire bomber operation. If the aircraft is structurally sound, well maintained and incorporates all the TCTOs to strengthen the wing, there shouldn't be any issues.

The best video publically released in Australia of the "C-130" tanker shows after dropping its water at low level on a fire front over fairly flat terrain it enters dense and heavy smoke over rising terrain, then a few seconds later there is a fireball on the horizon.

Turbine engines only burn around 20% of the available oxygen in the air (typically 80% of the total mass airflow is used for cooling) so breathing smoke is not a known problem (unless it is volcanic smoke that contains silica which melts and then adheres to the turbine blades and stators).

video of the crash sight

Having watched in awe and admiration as this aircraft and the 737 worked to stop the green wattle creek fire as it approached two doors up from me i was really pissed off when i heard the news of the crash.
dont know if it was the same crew flying but they are all heros

Users who are viewing this thread

Back