HELP A NEWBIE - FW 190's on Drive to Leningrad (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

sopwith21

Recruit
Feb 2, 2024
Greetings to all, newbie here. I am trying to understand the role that the FW 190 played in the north column (specifically) of Operation Barbarossa. It appears that they were first introduced there with JG 51 in September of 1942 and played a small part in the siege of Leningrad. Were there other FW 190 units in the north column? Perhaps later? How did they fare and who were their best scorers?

If anyone can provide a good online source for the FW 190's role in the northern invasion column against the USSR, or post your own knowledge here, I would appreciate it very much. Thank you.

Welcome. I am sure somebody will come a long shortly with some info. Mind you it is a biggish question.

Greetings to all, newbie here. I am trying to understand the role that the FW 190 played in the north column (specifically) of Operation Barbarossa. It appears that they were first introduced there with JG 51 in September of 1942 and played a small part in the siege of Leningrad. Were there other FW 190 units in the north column? Perhaps later? How did they fare and who were their best scorers?

If anyone can provide a good online source for the FW 190's role in the northern invasion column against the USSR, or post your own knowledge here, I would appreciate it very much. Thank you.
Hi S sopwith21 and wellcome to the forum.

The Fw 190 had no part in Operation Barbarossa. This was the initial assault of the USSR from June 22nd 1941. By that time the 190 was not even operational in the west, so no way that any unit with the 190 participed in the invasion.

I/JG 51 was redeployed to the northern sector of the eastern on September 6th 1942 after training in it, as you said, and was the first unit to use it in the east. By then, the front in Leningrad was largely static.

The Fw 190 was much appreciated in the eastern front due to heavier armament (4x20mm cannons + 2x7,92mm MGs) more able to bringing down the heavy armoured Il-2, sturdier construction, wide track landing gear better suited for the basic landing strips of Rusia and more resistant to battle damage than the Bf 109.

By mid 1943 it was deployed also as a jabo.

Don't know about online sources but this is a good read about Fw 190 aces of the Eastern Front:

It stated that Otto Kittel was the top scoring ace on the 190. Other famous scorers were Walter Nowotny and Hannes Trautloft, albeit not all of their claims were in the Eastern Front nor with the 190.

You also hace in that book the order of battle for the 190 units from Kursk till the end in the east.

A comprensive acount of the air war in the east is the Black Cross Red Start series, but it is expensive.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The Fw 190 was much appreciated in the eastern front due to heavier armament (4x20mm cannons + 2x7,92mm MGs) more able to bringing down the heavy armoured Il-2, sturdier construction, wide track landing gear better suited for the basic landing strips of Rusia and more resistant to battle damage than the Bf 109.
I forgot to add that the 190 had better performance at the lower altitudes were the air War was fought in the Eastern Front than the 109.

I forgot to add that the 190 had better performance at the lower altitudes were the air War was fought in the Eastern Front than the 109.
That is hugely helpful, thank you very much. Other than JG 51 near Leningrad, was there any other 190 action in the northern area of the Eastern front? Specifically along the Baltic coastline? Or was it only the Bf 109 in action there until the end of the war? Thanks again, I will enjoy looking up the books you mentioned.

That is hugely helpful, thank you very much. Other than JG 51 near Leningrad, was there any other 190 action in the northern area of the Eastern front? Specifically along the Baltic coastline? Or was it only the Bf 109 in action there until the end of the war? Thanks again, I will enjoy looking up the books you mentioned.
JG 54 was based in the northern sector and I & II/JG 54 converted in early 1943 and fought there till the end in the Courland pocket.

I/JG 26 fought for some months in the northern sector with Fw 190s and 7/JG 26 from late February till July 1943 was also based near Leningrad.

JG 5 jabo staffel (14) fought in the Artic Ocean with the 190 from February 1943 till April 1944.

Also, some ground attack units used the 190 in the northern sector at various times: 1/SG 5, I & III/SG 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back