Help with 109 on eastern front

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

esxboi

Recruit
Jun 1, 2022
Hi I was hoping I can get some help with a bf109 f4 III.jg3 udet over Stalingrad 1942

Did the 109's have the yellow or white stripe that wrapped around the plane just in front of the tail? It was my understanding that it was to show the theatre of operation and Russia was white? I'm also wondering if the gruppe kommanders plane would of still shown the gruppen bar behind the cross, and if the bar would still show the colour of the staffel or would it be black to match the chevrons of the gruppe kommander? And did the 109's show the yellow identification on the under side of the wing tips and and nose in 1942?

Welcome to the forum.

Eastern front theatre bands were yellow, not white. White was for the Med and North Africa. And yes, typically the markings included yellow wingtip and cowl undersides. If you had a pic of your plane or a better description with pilot that would help.

Thank you glad to be here..

There digital models, the bf 109 f4 over Stalingrad 1942, III Gruppe, Jagdschwader 3 "Udet" .. yellow 12/Gruppenkommandeur/Gruppe Adjutant

i had been aware of the white being used in med and n.africa but i read on (what I assume now was an inaccurate) website that it was used in russia, however i was sceptical, not being an expert in the luftwaffe (but learning) i used scale model in 1/35 afv's, but since recently getting into ww2 flight sims i started skinning (making skins for the aircraft) and found i quite enjoy it.

So I made all the chevrons, gruppe and jg3 emblem badges from references i looked up on line, inc the kill marks used which on the other side of the tail also has some white lines toped with a red star beneath the 50 kills reef (this is my personal skin and kill tally to date 57 kills), created a number of skins (in both summer and winter camo) from yellow 12 up to yellow 3 for 9 staffle, and of course no fighters complete without a personal motif. But is everything historically correct?

and thanks for replying to me

Gruppe Kommandaunte.jpg
gruppe Adjutant.jpg
yellow 12.jpg
yellow 12 winter camo.jpg

Last edited:
This is something I get a bit confused about these chevrons are white (this is a real bf109) shouldn't the chevrons be black? these seem to be showing the colours of the first staffel? Some bf109 Gruppenkommandeur also show the gruppen markings after the cross and some don't, is this just personal preference?

IMG_20220601_194732.jpg

There are no hard rules and the chevrons varied in size, pattern, and colour. So, "historical accuracy" of a fictional plane is a little hard to deal with but mostly your skin looks believable to me. Others might chime in on that.

There are no hard rules and the chevrons varied in size, pattern, and colour. So, "historical accuracy" of a fictional plane is a little hard to deal with but mostly your skin looks believable to me. Others might chime in on that.
I appreciate that Crimea_River Crimea_River I did put a number of hours into these skins. I did feel that there was so many different versions in the same theatre of operation that it was more personal choice, some displayed there staffel emblems and nothing else some only there Jagdgeschwaders emblem and some would paint on the gruppe and JG emblems i guess as long as the staffel colours and the markings a correct there's no right or wrong.

I know it's a fictional plane in the sense of it isn't a specific aces aircraft being recreated, (believe me there is plenty of those) however, I am trying to create a set of "generic" skins to recreate the real III.JG3 'Udet' that operated out of pitomnik airfield in summer/winter of '42 using the bf 109 f4, as long as i've done that i'm happy ;)

Wurger Wurger That's a great picture of a III gruppe 109, going by the picture I think I'll add the Gruppe bar to the adjutant plane. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back