IL2 Forgotten Battles Screenshots...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

formation flying while on patrol. I'm in the middle.
2nd pic is when I found a lone B24. scratch 1 B24.

Attachments

• formation_flying75%.jpg
    formation_flying75%.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 139
  • B-24 shootdown75%.jpg
    B-24 shootdown75%.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 149
Finally added the "Combat over Europe" addon to my install that I bought eons ago which has some nice Me-262 single missions. Just the first one of the four B-17's that I shot down on that mission. :twisted:
It works just fine with IL-2 1946 but it does take you unpacking the files into a separate folder and manually putting them into the correct IL-2 1946 folders.

There are some patches at M4T for it too. You also need to manually install them for them to work properly. There are some mistakes in the patch filepaths which make it necessary.
Combat over Europe Addon - Patch 1.02
Combat over Europe Addon - Patch 1.03

IGN Review: Combat Over Europe - PC Review at IGN
Gamespot Review: Combat Over Europe, Combat Over Europe PC - GameSpot.com
Gamerkings Reviews: Combat Over Europe for PC - GameRankings

Very old official website for the addon: Combat Planes Products
Same site at the Internet Archive: Combat Planes Products (Click the "Impatient" link)

Shark_Attack.jpg

Wheels

Last edited:
Great shots...One thing that annoys me with the -262 is that the engines set alight if you increase throttle too quickly...Same with other jets too...
Most early jets were like that, while Oleg and the team maybe overdone it abit, I have had very few engine fires, normally when trying to slow down, and close the throttles too much leading to less cooling air coouling the still hot metal.

I fly with a gamepad and keyboard using nearly all keys depending on A/C funtions/missions etc. I have with - + throttle also bound to the 'shoulder' buttons, as well as the vanilla keyboard - + keys.
The game isn't perfect, but with the 4.101 4.101 fix patches, things are much better and generally more realistic or 'accurized' after its (so far) 10 years of life - although there is still currently no 3 position manually adjustable 'speed bullets'/variable nozzle function on the German jets.

The prospects/rumours for patches 4.11 to 4.13 will bring in more A/C from Poland, Japan, Italy, Hungary, Australia along with further 3D upgrades and tweeks for many of the blocky modelled A/C left untouched from the orignal 2001 game.
---------------
Whenever I fly the Me262 or He162 or Ho/Go229, do not put engines over 90% for extended periods of time; it takes patience to wait and courage not close the throttles below 55% and still let them cool down. The rpm and max safe exhaust temp be 750C to 850C, if they go much near or above 900C for more than a few minutes, you'll soon be having a BBQ.

From Idle (1,600rpm-ish) to 6,000 rpm, I limit to one increment roughly every 3+ seconds on acceleration 5+ seconds for decceleration, or anotherway, I try to limit acclumative jumps by 10% from previous throttle setting untill engine rpm and/or sound changes stabilises before next major increment.

Above 6,000rpm to my own considered 'safe' effective 9,000 rpm limit, you can go up and down by 5% throttle increments every 2 seconds pausing for 5 seconds every major 20% change from last stable rpm/throttle setting.

Early jet engine were quiet inefficient and the FADEC was the pilot, also the 'spooling'/revving/spinning up or down time was slow compared to an 'Otto'/piston engine. For insance, 60% to 80-ish% of german jet engine weight is involved in the spooling parts of the engine.

Roughly a Jumo 04 is about 950kg, of which around 675kg or 2/3rds is rotating/spooling weight; compressors disc assembalies, the 'spool' main shaft the turbine disc assembally, plus the weight of the full length heavy tie rod clamping (tensioned to 13 metric tons to resist aerodynamical, vibrational, torsional and speed/torque differences between) the compressor and turbine sections to the main shaft/spool, let alone the power reduction/friction from the accessories drives gearings, the sum of that is all then timesed by the rpm, thats many many tons of centrifugal wieght to be changed/resisted with only air speed density, fueling and engine character.

This obviously isn't going to happen easily or quickly, particularly so for early german engines, which ran at what today are quite low pressure ratios, fueling ratio's and subsequently efficiencies and engine in/air-flow speeds.
So conversely (even without basic computer assisted engines or even FADEC) there isn't as much drag/friction/resitance assisting in slowing down the rpm or for being used in generating masses of power for accelerating or deccelerating the rpm.

Above 3,500m altitude, 85% power should be max except in dire emergencies, as the engines become over rich as they cannot compensate for altitude. When loosing altitude be throttle back gradually every, but try to keep above 5,000rpm or they could start to overheat from 'heatsoaking' not having enough cooling airflow from the operating engine.

I found that I'm more likely to flame out at high altitudes, vast changes with the throttle, at low rpms with low airspeed and high engine or exhaust temps i.e; mostly during setting up for landings. Oh, the Ho229 has its engines more finely tuned to catch fire because 1C thought it more historical as the only known flying prototype suffered an engine fire in one of its units during landing, so take a long time in gradually loosing speed, rpm and temperatures before even coming in to the runway approach pattern.

Sorry to be a bore Cheese and fellow readers, I don't mean to prattle on or knock your virtual airtime, I posted in the hope this helps.
I myself only really learned this, not soley from virtual airtime, but the reason I originally came to this site - to find manuals via Micdrow similarily esteemed techies/sparkies/etc for operating info upon the 262 its Jumo04's, to stop catching fire so often for no enemy damage reasons.

Last edited:
I saw a incockpit video from a testflight with prototype of ME 262 and the pilot moved the throttles veeeeryyyy slowly forward, he put half the hand in the pitwall as a reference and yanked them two throttles just millimeters at the time.
When the 262 was on landingpattern they where really sitting ducks, not beeing able to throttle up if engaged

some recent shots, seen elsewhere but its a bit qiuet in here

Ki84_11.jpg

BoB_1.jpg

jabo_stangs.jpg

malta_2.jpg

Malta_Blues.jpg

MountainWulfs.jpg

Jv44_Dora_1.jpg

Kingofthemountain.jpg

Mustang_3.jpg

205_1.gif

Its a mod map, Its named Alpen east or west or something like that.
It was perfect for that shot as the base is Munich Riem where Jv44 spent some time :)

I'm running UP3 and its in the FMB I used it for a Jv44 Intercept I started building :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back