Inside a Lancaster

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Pretty interesting that. Seems very clostrophobic espeacially in the tail end. A lovely looking bomber but I wouldnt have liked to have seen action in it ;)

Having sat in the pilots seat I can tell you there's more room in your family car, it's a very narrow but deep fuselage.

The gun turrets are like wearing an extra skin, there's no room to do anything but turn with the turret.

The narrowness of the fuselage and the position of the radio equipment taking up the lefthand side of the fuselage makes the crossing of the wingspar a real challenge... you're looking at getting over a 2.5ft obstacle through a 2.5ft square hole with no ability to position yourself to the left or right of it, you just have to tackle it head-on.

Visibilty from the cockpit however is the best of any bomber, such a panoramic view. The propellor tip on No. 2 engine spining past a foot to the left side of your head I'd guess would be a bit unnerving.

As for whether you'd want to see action in one... I'd take a 4 engined plane anytime that after droping it's bombs could take the stresses impossed by entering into a corkscrew dive and generally fly like a fighter..

Regards

Simon

Fantastic view indeed!!!

I use this old 3d beacuse I've a (probably stupid) question to ask you mates; no need a new 3d... :D

What is that shield we can see in the back of the pilot seat?
The black metal shield with a yellow circle painted in the centre.
What's its function?

Thank you.

To stop fast moving pieces of metal blowing the pilots head off. Rumor has it that in the event this happened it caused a certain amount of distress to the other crew members.

It is a bullet proof plate.

The first one has two controls, Lanc. And both have an interesting fold-away seat next to the pilot's.

I think the Lancaster looks better from this point of view than from the outside.

Most Lancasters only had one set of pilot controls. The second set were added for training at HCU's (Heavy Conversion Units).

The fold down seat is for the Flight Engineer, monitors throttles and fuel flow etc during flight. Most pilots preffered the FE to remain standing while flying as he was an extra set of eyes in the dark.

I'd imagine the folding seat would be used by the copilot in the models fitted with 2 control columns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back