Is there a unicorn kit?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I always felt that the role of the Corgi Transporter at Waterloo was under reported. It not only countered the French infantry and provided covering fire for the light cavalry and marching band, it also wiped out the Africa Corps and some German paratroopers on a regular basis.
You too?

No Corgi for me.
My personal unicorn kit is the Xtrakit Spitfire MkXII in 1/72.
Anyone have one they're willing to sell?

For me it's a kit that is available for a lot of money but is simply a formidable build that puts me off.

Matchbox now Revell 1/72 scale Flower class Corvette.
Revell 80-5112 1:72 Scale Flower class Corvette Naval Ship - Platinum Edition Amazon product ASIN B0073XSVWQ
View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0073XSVWQ/
Original Matchbox kits pop up on eBay occasionally for eye watering prices involving enough zeros to buy a decent second hand car.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
My one-time unicorn kit was the 1/72 Martin Mercator by Fantasic Plastic(?), but the molds were Anigrand Craftwork.

Maybe now, it might be 1/72 Saro Lerwick (Blackbird models?) or maybe 1/72 Savoia Marchetti S.M.84 by SEM(?)?
I would love a decent Saro Lerwick. Apparently the Blackbird kit is wrong having a side by side pilot and copilot seat arrangement. This makes the top of the hull too wide and leaves the hull with parallel sides. The Lerwick had pilot and copilot seats tandem fashion and the hull was a tall triangular shape.

I would still fancy the Blackbird kit as I don't think anyone else will make a kit Lerwick. It's been out of stock for about 3 years so wouldn't surprise me if we never see it in production again 😭

couldn't help myself

Attachments

• unicorn.jpg
    unicorn.jpg
    322.3 KB · Views: 33
I would love a decent Saro Lerwick. Apparently the Blackbird kit is wrong having a side by side pilot and copilot seat arrangement. This makes the top of the hull too wide and leaves the hull with parallel sides. The Lerwick had pilot and copilot seats tandem fashion and the hull was a tall triangular shape.

I would still fancy the Blackbird kit as I don't think anyone else will make a kit Lerwick. It's been out of stock for about 3 years so wouldn't surprise me if we never see it in production again 😭
Really? Damn it!

I have my unicorn kit. It's the Academy B-17B.
On one of my early trips to Thailand, I stumbled upon a hobby shop in Khorat (Nakhon Ratchissima). There was a completed model on display. It was probably the C/D. I didn't see one again until years later in Long Island. The C/D version. Bought and built it. I put a lot of effort into it. It got trashed during a move. It looked pretty good while it lasted.
I found the Academy B-17B model a few years later. I couldn't believe my luck. I didn't think anyone would produce a "B" version of the B-17. It's still in the box. I will have some room freeing up soon though I doubt I will build it. But I'm sure glad I have it. My all time favorite.

Last edited:
I've wanted to build a XF-90 ever since I saw it in the Air Force Museum restoration hanger a while back but the only one around is the old Aurora model. I know there would be loads of scratch building to make a decent finished product and that's fine, but the price they want for one is ridiculous.

P2177044.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back