Japan and Japanese

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The last Shogunate Yoshinobu Tokugawa (1837-1913).
His family may have such a receipt :)

TOKUGAWA_Yoshinobu.jpg

Source: Keishichi Ishiguro Photo Collection Vol. 1

3,500 remnants of Tokugawa Shogunate escaped to Hokkaido and were besieged in a new fortress to resist the new Meiji government for a year because they were afraid of losing job as Samurai. My ancestor also lost job and challenged a candy shop but failed. He found another job as a civil servant.

Goryokaku fortress Hakodate, Hokkaido
Goryokaku_fortress_Hakodate.jpg

The sudden transition from traditional to modern was difficult for Japan.
Yes, it was and still is.
eg.
The government and media force people to promote the gender equality saying "Japan is still behind the western countries" but, as far as I have observed this society for decades, many women do not necessarily want to work outside after marriage because they can control their hasbands without working like a queen. They are not unfortunate at least but the government and media ignore this comfortable reality for women IMO.

Last edited:
We have a similar dichotomy in views here. My impression (just based on my own circle of friends and aquaintances) is that around half want to work a regular job, about half do not after starting a family, and about half want the option of doing both. I think a large part of the positive effect for the ones who want a life outside of the home is the idea that they can if they choose to, so they do not feel trapped.

Reconstruction of Todaiji 7-story pagoda in Nara takes a step forward.

On April 25, the Nara National Research Institute for Cultural Properties announced that the final restoration plan for the Tohtoh (east pagoda) of Todaiji Temple in Nara City had been concluded with the height of approximately 68 meters. The pagoda was built around 764 and destroyed by fire in 1181.
The institute stated that the debate over which was the correct height, 23-jo (approximately 68 meters) or 33-jo (approximately 97 meters) since the 19th century had been now settled.
Todaiji_pagoda.jpg

Todaiji_pagoda_scale_model.jpg

Source: 'å˜a"Œ'厛

Pagoda location
Lost_pagoda_location.jpg

Source: https://www.todaiji.or.jp/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/totoinato.pdf

We lived and live in this kind of nationalistic tone since 1868.

Japan slips to 125th in gender equality rankings

It is probably relevant to remember that the countries that had the highest gender "equality" in the early 20th century were all countries that no one really wanted to live in because they were communist "workers paradises" like Russia where women did all the same jobs as men, except jobs with political power.

My personal feeling is that gender equality is a crock because it ignores the fact that some unknown percentage of women (and men) do not want to work for a living but would rather stay home and manage the household. Instead they are forced by peer pressure to get a job that they probably hate.

That, to me, is not equality but just a different form of enslavement.

Last edited:
It is probably relevant to remember that the countries that had the highest gender "equality" in the early 20th centuries were all countries that no one really wanted to live in because they were communist "workers paradises" like Russia where women did all the same jobs as men, except jobs with political power.

My personal feeling is that gender equality is a crock because it ignores the fact that some unknown percentage of women (and men) do not want to work for a living but would rather stay home and manage the household. Instead they are forced by peer pressure to get a job that they probably hate.

That, to me, is not equality but just a different form of enslavement.
Splendid insight, MiTasol.
Yes, man or woman, talent seems to be same for an occupation.

Tokyo Governor Koike Accused of Lying About University Degree
Tokyo_Governor_Koike.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back