John Boyd: The Pilot Who Changed the Art of Air Warfare, And Rare Upscaled Tactic Footage

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I should watch the video,and will - but offer a couple of thoughts.

First John Boyd was an important thorn in the side of the multi role weapons systems concepts perfumed princes that infused USAF fighter leadership (SAC/TAC come to mind) adopted post F-100. His theory and application of both energy manueverabilty and the relative comparisons of Soviet fighter vs US Century series clearly showed why the F-15/F-16 & Subsequent designs were necessary for US fighter designs to deliver air superiority fighters 'lost' post-Korea.

That said, according to several Nellis Fighter Tactics instructors - one of whom was a 'best' friend (LtC Billy Sparks), Boyd was a legend in his own mind with respect to being an unbeatable 'stick'. Other than to say that Sparky and several other Nellis instructors (i.e. Al Boyd) who flew the F-100 like it was part of them - waxed his fanny. Especially when he attempted the 'flat plate' stall manuever. He did not collect many $20 bill at Nellis

Quantities of lubricating brown water in the company of such studs can be illuminating when the topic "legends in their own mind' come up.

For those of you that have my 'Our Might Always - 355th FG in WWII" I devote a large block of Takhli Tales scribed by Billy Sparks. He was a Silver Star w/3 oak leaf clusters F-105 Strike and Weasel Nosegunner - and contributed so much to my book. Ditto LtC John Piwaty - another Renaissance Warrior that flew 100+ Missions in the Thud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back