Junkers Ju 188G prototypes

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Dec 10, 2019
20 Years Ago
I found this picture at LuftArchiv.de and it happens to show not only a Ju 188 vertical stabilizer similar to that used on the first two Ju 287 prototypes but is also identified as a Ju 188G-0 (Manfred Griehl notes that it was one of the first real Ju 188 prototypes, given that some Ju 88 prototypes were used for testing components intended for the Ju 188). This is rather important because even though some Nazi aviation books say that the Ju 188G didn't exist, the Ju 188G actually reached the prototype stage but never reached production status because the RLM cancelled it in favor of the Ju 388, of which the Ju 388L variant had a fin similar to that of the Ju 188G, considering that Junkers documents show that a Ju 188G prototype was modified to test the vertical stabilizer of the Ju 287 V1 and V2. The tail turret in the photo below seems incongruent with the Ju 388L's tail turret design, which resembles that of the planned production Ju 287, even though the vertical stabilizer resembles that of the Ju 388.

1578530485154.png

A Ju 88 is in the background

That's not a Junkers Ju 88 in the background. Completely wrong fin shape and the tail wheel is in a completely different position. The horizontal stabiliser is further back and it looks to be a bigger machine.

Scan0212.jpg

There aren't triangular passenger windows to the left

They may not be triangles - but they are windows - you need to look closer....

Unknown.PNG

(note that the Ju 188 and Ju 388 had a squared-off vertical stabilizer unlike the Ju 88).

Actually, it is quite incorrect because the G version of Ju-88 got the taller and more square fin+rudder too. However the one in question isn't of the shape and can't be of any variant of the Ju-88. Also I agree it's Ju-252 rather.

ju88g.jpg

Ju_88G.jpg

Ju_88G-6.jpg

the pic source: the Internet.

The Ju 188/388 type vertical stabilizer is indeed only true for the Ju 88G nightfighter version, because the baseline Ju 88 has the same tail fin shape as the Ju 252.

I found another picture of the Ju 188G (captioned Ju 188G-0 at LuftArchiv.de).

1578867011186.png

Anthony Kay's book German Aircraft of the Second World War describes Junkers Ju 188 V2 as having been converted to the Ju 188G-0 prototype. Considering that Ju 88 V44 bore construction number 1687 and was the first Ju 88E-1 prototype, and Ju 188 V1 had the construction number 10020, Ju 88 V44 and Ju 188 V1 were made from different airframes, even though Ju 88 V44 tested components for the Ju 188.

I recently received a copy of the book Bombers of the Luftwaffe and the photo that I included in the first post of this thread appears on page 97 of Bombers of the Luftwaffe, with a caption accompanying the photo corroborating the identity of the Ju 188 in the photo as the Ju 188 V2 and also the intended prototype for the Ju 188G because Griehl describes the Ju 188 V2 and Ju 188G as being equipped with an HL 131 Z/1 turret.

these are from the Squadron Signal Ju88 in action part II.
View attachment 568860View attachment 568861
Didn't realize that these photos were first published nearly 3 decades ago. So even though the Ju 188 V2 later tested the tail gun turret for the Ju 188G variant, page 53 (on which these photos appear) omits the fact that the remote controlled turret with two 13-mm guns was designed for the Ju 188C variant and that one Ju 188A-1 was converted to the Ju 188C prototype, even though that variant didn't enter production.

Vahe - give the man a "like" and thank him for taking the time and effort to show you those images. :rolleyes:
no worries my friend.

i was hoping to show him the Ju188 never really existed except for maybe testbed airframe.

see below Vahe, always "was to have" never "did have" !

and all sources on the Ju 188 G i can find quote the same script word for word, so it seems it all comes from the same book and is just repeated everywhere else.

Ju 188G & H
One problem with the Ju 88 that carried into the 188 was the lack of internal room for bomb storage. Both carried the majority of their bombload on the outside of the plane on racks under the wing, where it greatly affected performance. This was to have been addressed in the G and H models, which extended the fuselage downward for more room with the addition of a wooden pannier.

ju188g0.jpg

Junkers Ju 188G-0
(Source: unknown)
This modification also left enough room at the tail to fit a manned turret in place of the C model's remote-control one. However this system proved to be just as limited as the remote-control FA 15, being so small that only gunners could fit into it, and had basically no ability to escape in an emergency. The RLM rejected the manned design and planned on mounting the FA 15 even if it were unreliable. Oddly, the designs still had the nose area extended under the plane for a rear gunner, when this would no longer be needed and its removal would have greatly cleaned up the lines of the plane.
With the Jumo 213s now being sent to fighter production, the Ju 188 G-2 was to use the BMW 801 only, with the reconnaissance conversion known as the Ju 188 H-2. Neither entered production before the war ended.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back