Junkers Ju-52 Manuals

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

1C18A445-118A-4C8F-A399-51C99684899D.jpeg269F9681-9CDE-485F-9AA8-802126633A3B.jpeg10D9EBF8-D262-4B1A-B969-D7D2473ADAAA.jpegDA1DA60D-DD20-4DE1-A5E1-4A875E319A41.jpeg5BE62E9B-193D-4B34-BFB6-AD3FD92D3B76.jpeg

To read the manual is very interesting me and difficult a bit, because my nothing German knowledge. I wondered the reason the shift of the vertical stabilizer (as Junkers88A1 said), because it's a rare solution.

It seems on the Ju52 is possible in flight to set the elevator trim only and nothing else. So in flight are not available moveable aileron and rudder trims.

Elevator trim setting:
On the right side of the left pilot's seat is a large wheel and a handle/or knob. With the knob is possible to move a "kupplung" to locked or unlocked position. And is an instrument to display the position of the flaps and the horizontal stabilizer(=elevator trim) at the left hand of the "flugzeugführer" = pilot in command.

Locked: Is possible so set the wing flaps and the elevator trim(=horizontal stabilizer angle) together.
Unlocked: Is possible to set the elevator trim only.

I found a text about this method on this link too:
IL-2 Sturmovik: Great Battles
"Interesting feature of this aircraft is that the flaps are operated using the same handle as the adjustable stabilizer. However, it is possible to unlink these controls and adjust the stabilizer without touching the flaps. There is a stabilizer control flywheel in the pilot's cabin that is always linked mechanically to the stabilizer and the additional flaps link handle that connects the flaps to the same flywheel. Therefore, pilot can either use this flywheel to control only the stabilizer or the stabilizer and the flaps simultaneously.

Before taking off, the pilot sets the stabilizer to flight position, engages the link and then moves the flaps to take-off position, simultaneously setting the stabilizer to take-off position as well. When airborne, pilot retracts the flaps, unlinks these controls and adjusts the stabilizer only, finding a balanced position to minimize the control column force. Before landing, the pilot engages the link again and sets both the flaps and the stabilizer to the landing position. It is important to note that it is possible to render the system inoperable by deviating from this order so it won't be able to control either the stabilizer or the flaps. For example, if pilot the pitches the stabilizer all the way up with flaps retracted and then engages the link, the flywheel will be blocked because the fully turned down stabilizer and fully retracted flaps won't allow it to turn either way."

Last edited:
61D2FB1B-0571-465C-B130-7C8B8A2F0451.jpeg

An interesting solution for synchronising the engine speed is a mirror mounted on the inner cover of the side engines (E1, E3). In the mirror, the pilot sees both the side propeller and the center propeller at the same time. This allows him to adjust the speed of the left and right engines (E1, E3) to the center one (E2) stroboscopically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back