Junkers Ju88

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Stukas were big in the gunsights of Allied aircraft, where they belonged. Always reminded me of a Vulture, crappin' and spitting lead on a road crammed with refugees, no glory in that...The Ju88 was a much more refined aircraft by comparison - BUT, I'm here to defend the Mosquito...and when Israel acquired it's 300, of various marks from Britain, France and various other sources in 1948, many were already in poor condition. They acquired more in the '50's, mostly FB6's and used them in a couple of squadrons with a nil loss rate and near 100% serviceability! One should realise that when they built them, they weren't designed to last that long, and considering they've still got 30 odd worldwide with potentially new fuselages to come on stream, using today's epoxy glues and whatnot, they're gonna be around for awhile yet. No one was really inspired back in '45 to keep Ju88's particuarly [let alone stukas] and they are fishing the occasional '88 out of fiords now, but will they ever fly again? - Mossies were very popular after the War because of their Rep: they didn't get that because they were mediochre...

Absolutely !! -I feel aircraft restoration is a noble and talented art, and in that context I'm pleased to see any aircraft from the past restored - vehicles too...

T-34 was a good tank. I'm interested in all aspects of World War 2, aircraft, armour, weapons, technology, politics...everything basically.

The JU88 served in a number of airforces post-ww2 including the French.

The whole concept of a dive-bomber was obsolete by the end of WW2 that the Stuka continued to find roles it culd excel in, even when very outclassed, is an indicator that it was a very good airplane.

Kiwimac

altough it will always be remebered as a dive bomber, easily the best (and only truely successful) one of the war............

No it wasn't, the Stuka was merely used so extensively it looks good. It was quickly sent away from the Western Front because it was, well, poor.

There were plenty of aircraft that could do a better job than the Stuka, it was just used extensively. The A-36 Apache was much better than the Stuka, and you can call that a dive bomber safely because it had dive breaks...

Well what do you want in the way of a dive bomber, a plane built for the role or one that could do it? If it was the latter I could say plenty that were better than the Stuka, if the former, I've still got a list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back