Ki-43-III Otsu - Mythbusting the Misinformation

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Laurelix

Airman 1st Class
Jun 13, 2016
As you may know… all variants of Ki-43-I were powered by Ha-25 engine.

As soon as the power plant was upgraded to Ha-115 it became the Ki-43-II and its variants.

Finally the last and best powerplant that was put into the Oscar Fighter was Ha-115-II engine from which the Ki-43-III was born from. The Oscar 3 came in 2 variants. The Ko version was the mass produced version with the standard 2x 12.7mm Ho-103 armament. Then there was the Otsu version which didn't go beyond the prototype stage since the project was eventually abandoned. Arguably the biggest flaw of the Oscar fighters was their weak firepower, having only 2x .50 cal guns with only 270 rounds per gun. The Otsu version was a project to up-gun the Oscar 3 to be armed with 2x 20mm Ho-5 cannons. However the cannons didn't fit. The Japanese had to create buldges on the nose along with other changes to get the guns to fit in the nose area. This increased weight and drag of the plane. Other things had to be adjusted to fix the centre of gravity, further adding weight to the plane. Obviously the bigger guns and heavier ammunition also added more weight. As you can imagine, the performance deteriorated compared to the Ko version. In the end the Japanese deemed the Otsu project a pointless hassle which in the end wasn't worth the time to pursue.

However at some point in time someone published that the Ki-43-III Otsu had Ha-112 engine which is incorrect (Probably Francillion at fault) and it has been copied over and over into the other sources to this day. If it had the Ha-112 engine, it would of became the Ki-43-IV. The Ko and Otsu were still Oscar 3's using the same engine. If the Otsu did have a better Ha-112 engine, it would be illogical statement that the Otsu had worse performance than the Ko, resulting in the abandonment of the project. Furthermore from the images in the post you can see the engine is definitely not a Ha-112, because if it was the nose would look a lot different from the Ki-43-III Ko which had the Ha-115-II engine.

However… I cannot find the loaded weight of this prototype Oscar 3 fighter and it's performance. Maybe someone has sources on this?

Source of image:
Bunrindo - Famous Airplanes of the World No.65 - Army Type 1 Fighter "Hayabusa" Page 33

Attachments

• 7F0F01F1-6432-4F8B-917C-33CA26BCB784.jpeg
    7F0F01F1-6432-4F8B-917C-33CA26BCB784.jpeg
    148.2 KB · Views: 143
As you may know… all variants of Ki-43-I were powered by Ha-25 engine.

As soon as the power plant was upgraded to Ha-115 it became the Ki-43-II and its variants.

Finally the last and best powerplant that was put into the Oscar Fighter was Ha-115-II engine from which the Ki-43-III was born from. The Oscar 3 came in 2 variants. The Ko version was the mass produced version with the standard 2x 12.7mm Ho-103 armament. Then there was the Otsu version which didn't go beyond the prototype stage since the project was eventually abandoned. Arguably the biggest flaw of the Oscar fighters was their weak firepower, having only 2x .50 cal guns with only 270 rounds per gun. The Otsu version was a project to up-gun the Oscar 3 to be armed with 2x 20mm Ho-5 cannons. However the cannons didn't fit. The Japanese had to create buldges on the nose along with other changes to get the guns to fit in the nose area. This increased weight and drag of the plane. Other things had to be adjusted to fix the centre of gravity, further adding weight to the plane. Obviously the bigger guns and heavier ammunition also added more weight. As you can imagine, the performance deteriorated compared to the Ko version. In the end the Japanese deemed the Otsu project a pointless hassle which in the end wasn't worth the time to pursue.

However at some point in time someone published that the Ki-43-III Otsu had Ha-112 engine which is incorrect (Probably Francillion at fault) and it has been copied over and over into the other sources to this day. If it had the Ha-112 engine, it would of became the Ki-43-IV. The Ko and Otsu were still Oscar 3's using the same engine. If the Otsu did have a better Ha-112 engine, it would be illogical statement that the Otsu had worse performance than the Ko, resulting in the abandonment of the project. Furthermore from the images in the post you can see the engine is definitely not a Ha-112, because if it was the nose would look a lot different from the Ki-43-III Ko which had the Ha-115-II engine.

However… I cannot find the loaded weight of this prototype Oscar 3 fighter and it's performance. Maybe someone has sources on this?

Source of image:
Bunrindo - Famous Airplanes of the World No.65 - Army Type 1 Fighter "Hayabusa" Page 33
empty - 2040kg
normal take off - 2725kg
max take off - 3060kg
source: "Nakajima Ki-43 Hayabusa", author Dariusz Paduch, published by Kagero a month ago (p.54)

empty - 2040kg
normal take off - 2725kg
max take off - 3060kg
source: "Nakajima Ki-43 Hayabusa", author Dariusz Paduch, published by Kagero a month ago (p.54)
2725kg loaded weight is for Ki-43-III Ko

Ki-43-III otsu has lengthened nose, added buldges to fit 20mm Ho-5 guns and also more weight at the back to correct the centre of gravity.
It was heavier than the 2725kg loaded weight for the Ko.

2725kg loaded weight is for Ki-43-III Ko

Ki-43-III otsu has lengthened nose, added buldges to fit 20mm Ho-5 guns and also more weight at the back to correct the centre of gravity.
It was heavier than the 2725kg loaded weight for the Ko.
According to the author of the book i've cited - Ko (designation never used by Japanese) have improper location of the CG due all modifications made and whole project has been cancelled very early on the test stage - i don't think any exact numbers you are looking for exist at all.

According to the author of the book i've cited - Ko (designation never used by Japanese) have improper location of the CG due all modifications made and whole project has been cancelled very early on the test stage - i don't think any exact numbers you are looking for exist at all.
sorry i've mean Ki43-IIIb (Otsu) variant of course - this airplane should be armed with two Ho-5 autocannons - sorry for mistake

Interesting about the ballast needed for Ki43-IIIb, I never read it before but it makes sense due to pushed forward engine, and heavier 20mm in nose. Apparently the butterfly flaps were replaced by simple flaps but I haven't seen photo proof. As the Ki-84 was already in mass production any further Ki43 development was a backward effort by 1945 anyway.

I have Ki-43-IIIb 46kg heavier than IIIa, I think i got it partly from the difference in weights 20mm and 120xammo vs 12.7mm and 250xammo. Anyway as a prototype plane, needing ballast it is all +/-, i've never seen any Japanese source give performance for IIIb, but the basic performance should be very similar to IIIa.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back