Kit Mfg recommendations for 1:48 or larger?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ralph Haus

Tech Sergeant
Jul 24, 2016
Leander Texas
Over the past 2-3 years I have been building 1:72 scale. Enjoyable; but the fingers are getting stiffer, the eyes are a bit weaker, and the patience a bit thinner. With that said, I'm ready to scale up. I'm now considering the 1:48 lineup. Not sure what to do with a larger collection, but will address that when I get there.

My question is to those that multi-manufacture builders. I have found Tamiya to be be a reliable choice, for the most part, for fits and documentation. Hobby-Boss a complete waste of precious time. Revell-Germany hit and miss. Hasagawa and Academy somewhat on par with Tamiya, although not that much experience (number built). What is the consensus on larger scales? Does the 'quality' continue, improve or decline with any particular brand?

Always the ultimate question: if you were to have to buy your 'last' kit (regardless or craft) who would be your manufactured of choice?

1. Tamiya
2. Later Eduard
3. Hasegawa
Zeveda. Gotta love them.
The newer Airfix is looking pretty nice.
Acute Mintures which is now done by Academy. You'll see a triangle on the box.
Hobby boss and Trumpeter are indeed hit and miss ad STEER CLEAR OF ANY KITTY HAWK POS.
Monogram is almost always a good buy so know which Revell kits are really Monogram and which are really old Revell.

Thanks for the 'verification' on Taymia. The issue I have with them is the inventory is usually non-existent. From them, Hobbyinc, Amazon and other suppliers. Although if one does not mind paying double the price plus shipping then eBay is an option. I tend to avoid them anyway.

Ralph, Ebay is where I do most of my shopping.
Scalehobbyist.com: Model airplanes, ships, military vehicles and modeling supplies Best prices around a very far shipping.
Scale Model Cars Airplanes Ships Military Aircraft & Tanks At Squadron. They are good but gotta watch the price.
Military plastic model kits, accessories, tools and supplies serious go to.
Now as far as Ebay goes
rebelalpha My maine go to for decals and supplies, 3.50 for first sheet and .25 for each there after, 3 to four days from Cal to Houston if the USPS can find their A$$ with both hands and a mirror.
Victory Models out of Florida, prices a little higher but free shipping.
Kings Hobby look on line also kingshobby.com good prices but best if you can pick it up. I run up to Austin as I have a friend and a daughter in Round Rock, your in Leander so look at their site and order for a pick up, you'll save a bundle.
New shop just opened in Kyle Lionhart Hobbies. LionHeart Hobby - Hobby Shop - Kyle, Texas Tell Rudy I sent you.
Rudy used to be with King's and just opened Lionhart so I know him and trust him.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Don,
I'll look at the links at eBay. There is just so much when one goes in there 'blind'. I had a coulpe of bad experiences in the distant past and tend to be wary. As for King's. I really do enjoy going into their store, not the Austin traffic though! Looking at their online site I see that about 90% of the models that I am interested in are unavailable! A Covid phenomenon? Or just plain none available anymore? I'll drop them a message and try and understand what is the real status of Taimya availability. If they have anything in stock it will save shipping anyway.

Don,
I'll look at the links at eBay. There is just so much when one goes in there 'blind'. I had a coulpe of bad experiences in the distant past and tend to be wary. As for King's. I really do enjoy going into their store, not the Austin traffic though! Looking at their online site I see that about 90% of the models that I am interested in are unavailable! A Covid phenomenon? Or just plain none available anymore? I'll drop them a message and try and understand what is the real status of Taimya availability. If they have anything in stock it will save shipping anyway.
If your liking Tamiya nd you Like say their ne P-38F/g or h. Kings has it online for $64 you can order online and pick it up when traffic is light. I know I-35 sucks. I drove it in a tractor trailer! Retired now so I go up to Dale's in Round Rock and we go over on Saturday midday or Sunday, not bad. They open at ten and there's not much after you get in on the days. Any way PM me and we can swap phone numbers. Dale is in this group also and I go up to visit him several times a year. Maybe well meet up, got friend in Leander also.

I mean what are you looking for anyway?
20200909_161929.jpg
20201001_113330.jpg
20201001_113348.jpg
20201001_113358.jpg
20201002_194026.jpg
20201002_194034.jpg
20201002_194102.jpg
20201016_205506.jpg
20201016_205511.jpg
20201016_205518.jpg
20201016_205527.jpg
20201024_144514.jpg
20201024_144519.jpg
20201024_144523.jpg

Attachments

• 20201016_205522.jpg
    20201016_205522.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 98

And your married? Happily that is?

Wow, just WOW! Makes my stash look like a non-serious addict. My main focus is on the German fighters and bombers. Something about the lines on them are more interesting to me. I do have a Dauntless and a Spitfire or two. I am currently starting a P51-D, but no excitement. Just the pile is getting low. Some Japanese as well but they are more like 'fillers' to the 'display' than anything else.

Cyber Hobby Bf-110 Love it Zevda BF-109F, Love it, Eduard FW 190 series, Eduard BF 109G (though I do love the simplicity of Hasegawa's G. Revell He 111 and Ju 88 (which is Cyber Hobby/Dragon), Hasi Ju 87 B2/R2. ICM Do 17 Very nice, though I had issues with the gear, had a couple oddball issue but I need another one to work. I haven't seen but want to try the Airfix Ju 87 B1. Steer clear of Eduards 110, it was a first try and it has some issue, You can find my build here. I have the Revell 217 and it looks good, but I have not built it, and Oh this is just one closet!

If your liking Tamiya nd you Like say their ne P-38F/g or h. Kings has it online for $64 you can order online and pick it up when traffic is light. I know I-35 sucks. I drove it in a tractor trailer! Retired now so I go up to Dale's in Round Rock and we go over on Saturday midday or Sunday, not bad. They open at ten and there's not much after you get in on the days. Any way PM me and we can swap phone numbers. Dale is in this group also and I go up to visit him several times a year. Maybe well meet up, got friend in Leander also.

You mentioned a Dale's in Round Rock. ?? Person. Shop? PM, that's a Facebook thing? I don't do Facebook, so [email protected] will have to be the start.

You mentioned a Dale's in Round Rock. ?? Person. Shop? PM, that's a Facebook thing? I don't do Facebook, so [email protected] will have to be the start.
Hey, Ralph,
I am the Dale that Don mentions, I am a modeler and member of the forum. I live right on the border of Austin and Round Rock. I am near I-35 and the 45 Toll Road. I will send you a PM with my phone number. Feel free to call. I just ask that you text me before the first time call. That way I know it is you calling and not some telemarketer. I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Hey, Ralph,
I am the Dale that Don mentions, I am a modeler and member of the forum. I live right on the border of Austin and Round Rock. I am near I-35 and the 45 Toll Road. I will send you a PM with my phone number. Feel free to call. I just ask that you text me before the first time call. That way I know it is you calling and not some telemarketer. I look forward to speaking with you soon.
Dale,
I will certainly have to call. I'm familiar with your area, it most lilekly has decent cel service? So, that is my problem. I am about 7 miles (by the crow) from Leander. The dead zone for cel service, well about 1/2 bar. I can text but not talk. Neat, huh! I can text you my land line number, if that would be good? Is is usually fairly reliable, unless it rains. Ahh! the joys of living in the country.

Dale,
I will certainly have to call. I'm familiar with your area, it most lilekly has decent cel service? So, that is my problem. I am about 7 miles (by the crow) from Leander. The dead zone for cel service, well about 1/2 bar. I can text but not talk. Neat, huh! I can text you my land line number, if that would be good? Is is usually fairly reliable, unless it rains. Ahh! the joys of living in the country.
You sure can text me your land line number. Or you can reply here with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back