Ladies & Gentlemen: Name that Drone/R/C Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Zipper730

Chief Master Sergeant
Nov 9, 2015
I'm not sure if this should be under this forum, off-topic or Rise of the Drones, but it seems like an interesting thread.

To start off with, here's a design that I saw sometime ago on an image-search, and while I saved the image, I have no idea what the aircraft is.

2003_08_airshow_044.jpg

It's an LEWK drone developed by SAIC (Science Applications International Corporation), but past the prototype stage because the landing gear is missing and the prop and engine have changed. LEWK is "Loitering Electronic Warfare Killer."

GregP said:
It's an LEWK drone developed by SAIC (Science Applications International Corporation)
Loitering Electronic-Warfare Killer: So it's an automated jammer/attack drone?

Strange afterbody: It looks like it's got every drag producing feature known...

Actually I believe it zeros in on the locations of sources of emissions of interest, and pinpoints the grid location of said emissions, to be transmitted to the air-to-ground missiles or attack drones as target locations.

Also, I don't see the sources of drag you speak of. This is definitely a 300 mph or under drone (likely loiters at 100 mph or less), and seems quite slick to me. I see the shackles and the screws, neither of which are sources of high drag at likely mission speeds. The air intake for the engine is required, and turning it into a NACA duct would be a pointless expense that would gain but little for the money. The prototype's landing gear is already gone.

Last edited:
Actually I believe it zeros in on the locations of sources of emissions of interest, and pinpoints the grid location of said emissions, to be transmitted to the air-to-ground missiles or attack drones as target locations.
Oh...
Also, I don't see the sources of drag you speak of. This is definitely a 300 mph or under drone (likely loiters at 100 mph or less), and seems quite slick to me.
The afterbody seems rather flat, that's all. I'd have figured a decent tailcone would have been in order, that's all.
The air intake for the engine is required
I figured it was an intake/radiator combination: The exhaust pipes look very much like a piston engine.

Last edited:
All members feel free to post any unidentified UAV designs here

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back