Lewis H. Brereton and his political background

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

aircro

Airman 1st Class
Jan 10, 2009
Lewis H. Brereton - Wikipedia
- Philippines 1941. - unsuccessful(O.K. first japanese attack was delayed because fog)
- Java/New Guinea 1942. till 6/42. (I wrongly remembered that he was changed by - on 18 September 1942 and placed under the command of - Major General George Kenney.Fifth Air Force - Wikipedia - so who was in command in beetween?)
- N Africa-9AF 42/43
- England-9AF 43-45 (that I didn't know untill recently )
So, my question is about his competence (and political background): good, bad or mediocre?

Last edited:
His main political background seems to be as a supporter of Billy Mitchell. Unlike, say, Archibald Roosevelt or Smedley Butler, he didn't seem to be significantly active in politics. This isn't to say he wasn't "political," but he doesn't seem to have been either benefited or inconvenienced by politics outside the US Army.

Oddly enough, a USNA graduate, Transferred to the Army, the Army Air Corps, when the Navy wouldn't let him go to flight training because of his ear problem.

I suspect the name you are looking for before Kenney is George Brett.

Brererton's biography . . . haven't read it, just happen to have it . . . it's in the "sometime in the next ten years if I happen, for some odd reason, to develop any interest in the USAAF" folder. This is both parts 1 and 2.

Attachments

• A'Pretty Damn Able Commander' (L Brereton bio).pdf
    10.2 MB · Views: 67
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back