Macchi in Russia types

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

greybeard

Airman 1st Class
Oct 25, 2011
I am doing research on the twenty-first fighter group of the Regia Aeronautica in Russia, between the summer of 1942 and the winter of 1943.

Although all the sources agree on the presence, in this period, of Macchi C.200 and C.202, I cannot find the type (the series) used, maybe in the various periods or by the various squadrons of the 21° Gruppo CT.

I realize that it was a few dozen planes, and I don't know how detailed the documents of the time could be. However, I'd still like to ask if anyone has anything more detailed about it.

It is famous, for example, the photo of C.200 with wing bombs, taken (according to Shores) in December 1942: but does it mean that this plane was a VII series? And were all of them series VII fighter-bomber at the time? Has there ever been a series III in the period under consideration?

Macchi_MC.200_Russia.png

Source: "SMA [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons"

The same for C.202, which none of my sources details if from the III, VII or XII series.

Thanks to all for any help,
GB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back