Mail Call

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

billrunnels

Distinguished Member
B-17 Bombardier
8AF, 303bg, 360bs
Oct 13, 2017
Minnesota, USA
The most valued time throughout my military service during WWII was "Mail Call". This was true during training State Side and overseas. To read a letter from family or friends was the cure for time away from home. Coming off a mission and finding mail or a package on my bunk was the perfect ending to a challenging day.

By the same token writing to family and friends had the same effect. The availability of V-mail made this possible while overseas. On learning I was assigned to a mission the following day I spent considerable time writing V-mail notes to those back home. Censorship restricted comments to mundane type things like the weather, who I had received mail from etc. However, this thought process enabled me to relax and get a good night of rest 20180826_235835.jpg which was important.

The attached V-mail, dated May 16, 1945, was sent to my folks.

Attachments

• 20180826_235802.jpg
    20180826_235802.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 45
Good stuff Bill! I can imagine the solace from writing and receiving mail would bring.
It sure worked for me. Different strokes for different folks. Had a Lead Navigator friend who got drunk as a s***k and wrote notes "you can't hit me" until he passed out. He then threw the notes out over the target and emptied his .45 at the same time. He was a talented navigator. On his final mission he came off the aircraft with his head cocked to one side. A piece of flak hit his helmet. He told me with a grin his luck was about to run out and he was glad this was his last.:)

Last edited:
It sure worked for me. Different strokes for different folks. Had a Lead Navigator friend who got drunk as a s***k and wrote notes "you can't hit me" until he passed out. He then threw the notes out over the target and emptied his .45 at the same time. He was a talented navigator. On his final mission he came off the aircraft with his head cocked to one side. A piece of flak hit his helmet. He told me with a grin his luck was about to run out and he was glad this was his last.:)

Bill, it's okay. We're all adults here. You can write out the word "skunk."

Been there, done that. You were going to write another word beginning with S weren't you, you naughty boy. ;)

-Irish

Users who are viewing this thread

Back