Midway Discovery

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great discovery but, if I may add, the Kaga and her crews' souls are not there anymore.
Time goes on and they are now with us.

JMSDF DDH-184 Kaga
th_IMG_5444.jpg

Source: 海上自衛隊の最大護衛艦「かが」が大阪港初寄港!天保山で行われた一般公開の状況〜Part.1外観編〜

JMSDF DDH-184 Kaga.JPG

Source: 天保山に寄港した護衛艦「かが」を見てきました

I love the headline from Japan Times.

Genius. I see what you did there 😂

After Kaga, explorers zero in on second sunken Japanese carrier from Battle of Midway

This is sort of off topic, then again, it kind of is on topic. They appear to have found one of the Fletcher class destroyers from the Battle of Leyte Gulf.

WWII wreck from the U.S. Navy found 20,000 feet under the sea <--linky linky

They're trying to confirm if its the USS Johnston, or the USS Hoel.

In any event, it's apparently the deepest warship wreck ever discovered .

If you haven't read it yet, The Last Stand of The Tin Can Sailors by James D. Hornfischer is a must read. Once I started it, I could not put it down until I was finished.

I wasn't able to start a new thread in this section. If the moderators deem this post wrong, please move or delete it.

-Slightly off topic but not much (I hope!)
-I was looking forward to this Veteran's Day program from the Smithsonian Institution on the Battle of Midway. I didn't expect any really new information but wanted to see how our national museum system would treat the issue. In a word it was garbage. The only plane they spent time with was the Dauntless and they denigrated its performance while crediting it with sinking the four carriers. According to the program the US torpedo bomber used was the TBF even though they showed one clip with the TBD. I think they substituted shots of the SB2C for the TBD; maybe they looked alike to the producers. While there were a few shots of Wildcats 90% of the fighter footage showed Hellcats, although a few Corsairs managed to sneak in. The history was terrible. I'm really disappointed, 'nuff said.

-Slightly off topic but not much (I hope!)
-I was looking forward to this Veteran's Day program from the Smithsonian Institution on the Battle of Midway. I didn't expect any really new information but wanted to see how our national museum system would treat the issue. In a word it was garbage. The only plane they spent time with was the Dauntless and they denigrated its performance while crediting it with sinking the four carriers. According to the program the US torpedo bomber used was the TBF even though they showed one clip with the TBD. I think they substituted shots of the SB2C for the TBD; maybe they looked alike to the producers. While there were a few shots of Wildcats 90% of the fighter footage showed Hellcats, although a few Corsairs managed to sneak in. The history was terrible. I'm really disappointed, 'nuff said.
The people in charge of the museum probably tried to give a reasonable presentation. Also, they may have borrowed footage from some of the same archives that produced "Victory at Sea" which was one of the crappiest series ever made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back