Mitsubishi A6M Markings

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Musec04

Airman
Dec 7, 2021
Hello,

Mitsubishi A6M. It appears to have the tail code-108,but the unit code cannot be seen. Anyone know what it was?

A6MTAI.jpg

The same seller has A6M2 Hokokou 550 V-171 from the Tainan Kokutai,so perhaps full code for the first photo id V-108although details appear different to usual illustrations of that aircraft,such as no buntaicho stripes.

hok550.jpg

Regards,

Clint

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks Shinpachi san. I suspect you may be correct. The chevron looks very 2 Ku. Michael Claringbould in Pacific Profiles vol.5 has artwork for Q-108 which is shown as Hikokou 884 and has no chevrons. Unlike the aircraft in this thread.Possibly based on these photos

Possibly an error due to a lack of understanding on my part. Would one lost aircraft marked Q-108, be replaced by another Q-108 during the brief period between the adoption of the chevrons in Sept 1942 and the unit becoming 582 Ku in November 1942? Certainly the one shown in the Pacific Wrecks link also look more 'wrecked than the one I posted.

Regards,

Clint

Well, it certainly could be Q-109. If you're sure (and I can't say with certainty), I'm more than happy to go along with your reading of the numerals. What certainly does tend to support your take is that Claringbould in the book I referred to previously states Q-109 has a single chevron as the machine in the photo does. No comment on the Q-108 at all. What his statement does suggest is that there is a photo of Q-109 somewhere that he's seen,though not alas in Pacific Profiles Volume 5!.

Regards,

Clint

Users who are viewing this thread

Back