Mk.IX Spitfire-421 Sqn 1944 specifically!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Spitfire_Mk_IX_421_Squadron_RCAF_at_B2_Bazenville.jpg

the source:Spitfires Mk IX of No. 421 Squadron RCAF at B2 Bazenville 1944 | World War Photos

The Spits above are the Mk.IX while these below seem to be the Mk.XVI, the squadron received in the December of 1944.

bee49faf870e6a35daad7c8558c6956d.jpg

colour12.jpg

the pic source: Photos couleurs - Page 2

The wing tips could be removed and added easily in the field so it's not necessarily a matter of comparing production numbers. Better to study the period pics of the squadron involved and the one posted in #22 is probably the best indication of what 421 was doing in May 1944. It's also the final one I saw that caused me to make my recommendation in post #16.

My take is that clipped wing IXs were less common than standard tips through 1943 and 1944 and that, as missions changed from gaining air superiority to ground support in mid/late 1944 and 45, clipped wings became more common, especially on the XVI. There were reports of wing wrinkling during dive bombing and high angle strafing ops and it MAY be that clipping the wings reduced the possibility of this happening. I've read several references to find a true answer as to when and why clipped wings were used on the IX and XVI but have not found anything definitive. That's why I go by period pics as much as possible.

As I have pointed out.
Isn't research fun.
I have to apologize, I tend to Skim over things, and that must frustrate some.
After CAREful reading I am getting it.

So, Spitfire Mk.IX, MJ928, of 421 Sqn side code AU*Q being lost to flack on 21st May 1944, with pilot JF Davidson bailing and being interred with no further survival information.

AC Details;
Side code AU*Q as noted in post #5 in colour? Sky
Standard camouflage, with band at rear of fuselage.
Spinner is Sky as well, as picture on post #22 shows light colour?
Round tail and standard wing tips.
ADD Gyro sight
Aircraft was destroyed before D-Day June 6, 1944 so no invasion stripes.

So,
Spinner colour? Sky
Code colour? Sky

Now just have to wait for that GB category in which this plane fits!
All thanks to those who have peeked in, and contributed.
Cheers, Bill

Last edited:
A corrections: Code would be AU_Q, not UA_Q

Agree with Wojtek that spinner and codes are Sky. So is the fuselage band which is 18 inches wide.
Don't forget the yellow leading edge. And yes, no AEAF stripes.
Also, you will want the gyro gun sight as 421 squadron received them in April 1945.

You can do the build now for GB 49 given that it's your FAVOURITE aircraft, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back