Most Unattractive Aircraft of WW2 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Glider

Captain
Apr 23, 2005
Lincolnshire
We often talk about the best of something or the worst but how about the most unattractive aircraft of WW2. I must emphasise we are talking about looks.

I know that there are some good French contenders but I will go with my personal choice the Barracuda.
Barracuda.jpg

I'll go with the LWS-6 (PZL.30 Zubr).

94e1f2ddcd7dcb8b19bdf51816ada5e9.jpg

No performance to speak of, ugly beyond belief, and had a useful life of only several missions, including training. The few survivors ended up as airfield decoys to be destroyed in attacks in lieu of useful aircraft.

Has a face that makes a train want to take a dirt road on a rainy night. Well, maybe that's an exaggeration. OK, uglier than a Barracuda.

Leaving out the French heavy bombers, which just about make my eyes bleed, some other "winners" in the ugly category would include:

US -- B-18
Britain -- Roc
Germany -- Ju87
Soviet -- TB-3

As soon as my eyes stop bleeding, I'm going to walk my dog.

Oh, everybody had ugly planes, and quite a few handsome planes were pieces of crap (XF-87, anyone?)

Nobody could, realistically, call the Westland Lysander, Northrop Raider, Grumman Hawkeye and Tracker, Fairey Gannet, or Martin Marlin "pretty."

For the same reason as post-WW2 French aircraft

I didn't say it was ugly; I said it wasn't pretty. And why?
All those excrescences, the antenna, the plethora of tails (which is more noticeable on the C-2)

I agree about the C-2, but I think the Hawkeye looks pretty neat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back