My favourite sound...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

As a teen in the 1950s when I heard and felt the B-36 at altitude, a stop of activity was required until it could be spotted. The same sound and feeling often revealed a C-124 at altitude. The best I can do today is try to see the C-130 overhead.
I remember seeing/hearing one of the last C-97s flying near Langley Field (AFB if you prefer) in the early 70s. I knew when I saw it, that I'd probably never see that again. Today, lucky to live in Alaska beneath the air corridor between Anchorage and Fairbanks, I regularly hear DC-6s, and occasional DC-3s or C-46s. When possible, I usually stop what I've been doing and go outside to try and witness history flying by, never knowing if that may be the last time. de Havilland DCH-2 Beavers and Piper Super Cubs are in the air around here as thick as the mosquitos.

KC-97's used to fly around my neighborhood when I was growing up. They flew out of Floyd Bennett Naval Air Station. There were also P-2V's and the delightful A-4 as well. Beautiful music from the heavens. The VC-10's going in out of JFK were pretty sweet too!

I mentioned this experience on another thread. I was fortunate, not realizing it would become rare, to hitch a ride while in the USAF from Arizona to Barksdale on a C-97. The aircraft was completely empty and I and my buddy were in a very large room. The pilots, both 2nd Lt. who looked as young as we did (19) stopped to give us safety procedure. He said The intercom and speaker was inop and the engine firebottles were empty and couldn't be charged because of incompatible equipment. His instructions were if we saw the three of them running toward the rear door, get in line. I wasn't worried as the crew chief was old enough to be my father.

I'll say this: my least-favorite aircraft noise is the sound of a T-37 warming up. They're like a power-drill ... at 120dB.

I've flown on a few of those, they're cramped as all get-out.
I disagree! I know you are wrong because I just watched a YouTube video "Great British Airliners" (giggle). It said it was roomy. So what if you were actually on board one!

I'll say this: my least-favorite aircraft noise is the sound of a T-37 warming up. They're like a power-drill ... at 120dB.

I've flown on a few of those, they're cramped as all get-out.
More cramped than a DC-8?
First liner I ever flew. Luckily it was only a half hour flight, but I had my knees in my chin the whole time....and I was 13 then!

More cramped than a DC-8?
First liner I ever flew. Luckily it was only a half hour flight, but I had my knees in my chin the whole time....and I was 13 then!

I've been on one DC-8, a Super 62 iirc. It was ugly. Kinda like modern 737s, knee-upon-chin, with a longer walk to the head after crawling over benchmates.

I remember a memorable flight in a Delta Convair 880 from Atlanta to New Orleans. We left 15 minutes late and the pilot came on to tell the international passengers he would make up the time to make their international connections. We landed 5 minutes early.

I remember a memorable flight in a Delta Convair 880 from Atlanta to New Orleans. We left 15 minutes late and the pilot came on to tell the international passengers he would make up the time to make their international connections. We landed 5 minutes early.

Yabut did they need a can-opener to get you out? :p

...here's another P-40 I just found.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1COP0MbR-Bs

This one doesn't have quite the "punch" to it, as he passes by, as the first one, but listen to that roar as approaches.
SHEESH!

...fire spittin' from the pipes is a nice effect, too.

I should post the Jones Beach footage. That's cool, because the prop hardly moves during the shot.

Elvis

I think the 'flames' are actually the sunlight reflecting from the propellor blades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back