My Spitfire factory: Seafire Mk IIc, 809 NAS, HMS Stalker, Operation Avalanche

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

36feet10inches

Staff Sergeant
Jan 25, 2009
Newark, UK
I'm onto my third build now, a Supermarine Seafire Mk IIc MB218/S-A flown from HMS Stalker by 809 NAS of the Fleet Air Arm during Operation Avalanche, the allied landings at the Italian port of Salerno in September 1943. MB218 was written off after making a flapless landing on HMS Unicorn on 9th September 1943; it was promptly chucked over the side to clear the deck. Why the plane, flown by Kiwi pilot Sub.Lt. W.G. Coleman, landed on Unicorn instead of Stalker isn't clear, maybe low on fuel and needed to get down urgently and the deck of Stalker was congested, who knows?

The kit is the Special Hobby Seafire Mk IIc which is based on their Spitfire Mk. Vc, and the scheme is the box art star, a striking looking "clippy"in Temperate Sea Scheme with a shark's mouth. There is some conjecture about the colour of the spinner and/or shark's mouth, red or black in either case, but I've had eyes on a couple of b/w photos of the airframe that I can't reproduce here and am reasonably sure that both were (probably dark) red. Notably some of the panel lines on the fuselage aft of the canopy appeared to be taped up for some reason.

sharkmouth.JPG

seafire.jpg

Plenty of Special Hobby kits have found their way into and out of my stash over the years, but I don't remember ever actually completing one! It's fairly typical short-run mixed-media fare, with an etch sheet and some bits of resin.

SH1.jpg

SH-2.jpg

SH-3.jpg

SH-4.jpg

SH-5.jpg

I've made some progress with it already. Cockpit was a bit fiddly but I was pleasantly surprised that the fuselage closed around it without the need for fettlage:

cockpit.jpg

The wings and fuselage; the kit comes with both resin and styrene cannon, the former being better but I managed to lose one of them. The outboard cannon stubs are nasty, misshapen things anyway so I've ordered some brass replacements for both.

progress.jpg

I've stuck the fuselage and wings together since taking the above pic and the fit is a bit of a horror story. More on that later...

Thanks as always for looking in!

Very cool subject. The "tape" may be a representation of metal reinforcements added as some Spitfires broke their back upon a landing on carrier deck

Now that's interesting. MB218 had been damaged in a wheels-up landing six months before Avalanche. Perhaps this was part of the repairs, as you say metal reinforcements? I was thinking to represent it with very narrow strips of decorator's masking tape, but perhaps aluminium foil might be the way to go?

Early weekend shift. The wing/fuselage fit truly is a mutt. Some corrective action going on, not quite the sledgehammer but not far off. I was starting to drill some holes for the outboard cannon stubs but noticed in my reference photo that they had been deleted completely on this airframe (instructions still show them), so reached for the PPP. Oh, and I've managed to dislodge the pilot's seat with that aggressive clamping.

mutt1.jpg

mutt2.jpg

mutt3.jpg

More fun and games... a bit of extra ventilation for the pilot. Rather than just plaster it with PPP (which let's face it would most likely just squish through the gaps into the fuselage) I pressed in some very thin slivers of plastic rod and let the Tamiya Extra Thin do its stuff (pic 2), before finishing with a smear of PPP (and sanding my fingerprints off!) Quite apart from the wing fit, there are little gaps all over the place that need addressing. I mean, it's not terrible, but it sure ain't Tamiya!

vents.jpg

vents 2.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back