No 56 Squadron, RAF, 'The Firebirds', 1918 - 2008.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

:thumbright:

Additionally it should be remembered about accurate washing of cleaned parts with warm water and soap or another detergent..,, and making them dried of course.

Last edited:
Well, the pint has finally dried enough to proceed further. Next step is to make and fit the Aldis gun sight and its supports, and the windscreen, then paint the Squadron markings, the small details and parts, and apply some decals, before starting on the first stage of the rigging. I hope to have some pics sometime tomorrow.

A little more to show.
The padded headrest and 'leather' cockpit coaming have been painted, along with the Vickers gun, and the Squadron markings and code letters applied. The fuselage underside 'ribs' have also been simulated, as if showing through the clear-doped fabric.
Photo evidence from 1918 shows that the code letters were mostly fairly crudely applied, and this has been replicated by hand-painting the letters and tail stripes, the letters being done freehand.
The rudder has also been painted white, to help minimise any 'show through' when the striped decals are applied.
I hope to post some more tomorrow, meanwhile thanks again for your continued interest.

Attachments

• SE5 build 134.jpg
    SE5 build 134.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 79
  • SE5 build 135.jpg
    SE5 build 135.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 69
  • SE5 build 139.jpg
    SE5 build 139.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 80
Thanks Evan and Wayne. Didn't get much done over the weekend - one of those doldrum periods!

I'm going to put this one on hold for a time. Two reasons - first being my hands are not allowing me to do the delicate stuff, and second, I might have to pack up and move at sometime within the next two to three months,. If this happens, the finished model will be extremely delicate for packing, and I believe is better left until I know my future.

Sorry to hear this Terry and hope if and when you move it's to somewhere a tad warmer for you, may help with the hands if you can head southwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back