Norden Bombsight

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

billrunnels

Distinguished Member
B-17 Bombardier
8AF, 303bg, 360bs
Oct 13, 2017
Minnesota, USA
Here is a copy of a flyer we used following WWII when appearing on a panel etc
20171217_144656.jpg

The Norden sight was a superb instrument, there were other sights that could match it in the real world of operational bombing, but not theoretically. It and it's associated systems were however very, very complicated.

It was difficult to manufacture to the standard required (which is why many, later, sub-contracted sights were not capable of the accuracy of the original Norden built sights). In December 1943 Wright Field tested 200 M-9 Norden bomb sights, manufactured by Norden, Remington Rand, Borroughs, Lukas-Harold and Victor, finding them "...to be inferior to those sights which were being produced about two years ago".
The first 600 sights produced by Victor were recalled, but Norden got the blame for providing "incomplete, inaccurate and obsolete" engineering data.

Colonel R.E. Jarman, technical executive of the Armament Laboratory at Wright Field expressed his frustration with the Norden Company when he wrote
"...if I ever enter the Norden factory again and deal with their high executive personnel, it will be too soon."

Something else, often overlooked, is just how difficult the sight was to maintain. The training of personnel to look after and maintain the sights once in service was something of a debacle, particularly for the Army.

Cheers

Steve

Pretty nice.
What are you personal thoughts about the Norden Bill?
I
They were just as good as the people who used them. It took a good pilot to hold a steady altitude and indicated air speed of 150 mph and a good bombardier who did the correct calculations for the bombsight and could control flight on the bomb run.

The Norden sight was a superb instrument, there were other sights that could match it in the real world of operational bombing, but not theoretically. It and it's associated systems were however very, very complicated.

It was difficult to manufacture to the standard required (which is why many, later, sub-contracted sights were not capable of the accuracy of the original Norden built sights). In December 1943 Wright Field tested 200 M-9 Norden bomb sights, manufactured by Norden, Remington Rand, Borroughs, Lukas-Harold and Victor, finding them "...to be inferior to those sights which were being produced about two years ago".
The first 600 sights produced by Victor were recalled, but Norden got the blame for providing "incomplete, inaccurate and obsolete" engineering data.

Colonel R.E. Jarman, technical executive of the Armament Laboratory at Wright Field expressed his frustration with the Norden Company when he wrote
"...if I ever enter the Norden factory again and deal with their high executive personnel, it will be too soon."

Something else, often overlooked, is just how difficult the sight was to maintain. The training of personnel to look after and maintain the sights once in service was something of a debacle, particularly for the Army.

Cheers

Steve

Excellent information Steve. Many thanks.

Cheers

I
They were just as good as the people who used them. It took a good pilot to hold a steady altitude and indicated air speed of 150 mph and a good bombardier who did the correct calculations for the bombsight and could control flight on the bomb run.

Couldn't agree more with you there Bill.
After bombs away, what was the type of maneuvering that bombers took to get away from the target area?
Over the years I have come to the perception that after hoping slightly, lightened by the departure of the bombload, the bombers would enter a tight turn to left and proceed to pierce their way out of enemy airspace.

Cheers

Couldn't agree more with you there Bill.
After bombs away, what was the type of maneuvering that bombers took to get away from the target area?
Over the years I have come to the perception that after hoping slightly, lightened by the departure of the bombload, the bombers would enter a tight turn to left and proceed to pierce their way out of enemy airspace.

Cheers
After bombs away the pilot took over control and made a gradual formation turn right or left to clear the flak area. The turn began while the bomb bay doors were closing.

Was is a true story about hair from a famous actress (Rita Hayworth maybe) being used for the crosshairs in this instrument?

I've never heard that story.
Given the number of sights produced I rather doubt it. Also the thickness of the material was a factor in accuracy and had to be constant. The cross hair width could give a 10' error for an M-33 bomb dropped from 25,000' :)
Cheers
Steve

That story has been pretty well debunked. The most popular version is that a lady named Mary Babnik Brown had blonde hair that had never been treated with chemicals or a curling iron, and was the only hair suitable for the crosshairs. In fact, that story was so pervasive that President Reagan sent her a thank-you letter on her 80th birthday. There is even an entire Wikipedia page on her and the myth. The other tale told is that black widow spider web was used. All of this is complete bunk. Try and imagine one woman's hair supplying 90,000 Norden bombsights. The only grain of truth is that there was some interest by the War Department in using women's hair in devices.
I have restored dozens of Norden bombsights and can tell you that the crosshairs are etched on a glass lens. When I get home I will post a picture.

2E0F8D1A-856F-4520-AD62-CD6B47B2B4DC.jpeg
Hi everyone,
I have this oddly modified Norden stabilizer
and was wondering if anyone here might
shed some light on it's application?
As you see It has this large interface located between the stabilizer and Glide Bombing Attachment. I've never seen this before.
Any suggestions??
Thanks!

Last edited:
View attachment 476577 Hi everyone,
I have this oddly modified Norden stabilizer
and was windering if the anyone here might
shed some light on it's application?
As you see It has this large interface located between the stabilizer and Glide Bombing Attachment. I've never seen this before.
Any suggestions??
Thanks!
Really don't know, and can't find any reference pictures with that segment.

Not an expert on hairs, or cross hairs but if you used human hair they would overlap, and if you were looking for the finest or straightest hair you would use hair from a blonde or ginger child ( I used to have one) and in any case many other animals have finer hair, away from hair I would think spiders webs were approaching the thinnest......amazing how stories grow legs and run, the wonder of the "net" doesn't stop these legends it actually makes them accepted "facts".

Guess I could learn how to do Wikipedia. Wouldn't want to step on anyone else's hard work but that article on Mary Brown is pure fantasy. Why can't the truth suffice? That's just one reason I love Bill's posts. He was there and can tell us first hand, how it really was. Nobody that was referenced in that Wikipedia article was there or had even seen a Norden bombsight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back