Ontos's Photos

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thank you guys, glad you liked them.

Vic the circles are Native American Medicine Wheels, the wheel is a symbol for balance. They signify balance between the four races, the four seasons and four elements and an interconnection between the wind, body soul and emotions. The Red Tailed Hawk feathers are considered sacred to Native Americans. They are sometimes used in ceremonies and rituals.

The feathers belonged to my brother, he also made the Medicine Wheels from porcupine quills. He was a master artist in Native American art and culture making everything from war bonnets, jackets and jewelry, he once made a Native American jacket for Steven Seagal. He passed away in 1997 due to complications from agent orange. I guess you could say I set up this shot for him. I'm not quite sure I like it and may try something different some other time.

Last edited:
Man it's been hot and muggy here, I hope the rest of you guys are doing OK back east and the south getting hit with those storms. We had down pours yesterday, some places had hail 1" in diameter.

I got to play some more with my macro, I just could not resist. Here are some Sunflowers and the handle to my bathroom faucet sink. I hope you enjoy.

Attachments

• chrome faucet pose.jpg
    chrome faucet pose.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 33
  • sunflower and raindrops.jpg
    sunflower and raindrops.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 33
  • sunflower bud morning light.jpg
    sunflower bud morning light.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 34
Looks like you're having fun with that Macro lens!

We had some brutal humidity a little while ago, but that's gone now...fortunately. I remember the T-Storms that used to pile up there in late summer, along the San Gabriel and San Bernardino mountains...even got my '56 Chevy pickup hit by lightning one time, going over Onyx Summit, on my way into Big Bear.

Thanks Dave, I am having fun with this lens It gives a whole new perspective on things. I'm not far from the mountains and we were getting pretty soaked and some lightening bolts came pretty close so no camera shots, lol.

Cheers Aaron and thanks, I like the sunflowers too, we get a lot of them popping up under our bird feeder, we put out the black oil sunflower seeds for them, what falls on the ground seems to grow pretty good.

Hey VB thanks I really appreciate it, you can get a Canon 500D close up lens that will work for close ups on just about any lens it attaches just like a filter and is pretty sharp. The 500D is a heck of a lot cheaper than a macro lens.

Thanks Hugh really appreciated.

The day of our big downpour the clouds were really getting beautiful, there was no thunder or lightening. It was about 1830 hrs. so I drove down the street to try some landscape photography, I'm not to good at it, still trying to get my focus point at 1/3rd. I still need more days like this for practice :oops: Here is what I came out with, suggestions are always welcome and appreciated.

Attachments

• Hidden Canyon Red Sunset.jpg
    Hidden Canyon Red Sunset.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 66
  • Lone Tree in Hidden Canyon.jpg
    Lone Tree in Hidden Canyon.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 66
Those really, and I mean REALLY, came out nice, Merv! Well done!

Shooting landscapes (sunsets) is not all that hard, it just takes a different set of rules than you'd use for capturing birds, aircraft and such. You already have an eye for it (as we can see) and if you want, I can go back and edit my posts with sunsets and add the settings I used, if that would help give you an idea of what to try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back