ooooooooops

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

lmao...it is beyond me how a pilot can forget something somewhat important like gear.

By the way, that 601 is for sale: 1970 Aerostar 601 Aircraft for sale - Aero Star Usa Ltd , FL - Trade-A-Plane Inventory ID 2076612

You should be able to haggle the price down: it needs new props...

There are many reasons that the gear gets forgotten... I've almost done it, after a malfunctioning gauge caused me to do a very short circuit to land.
That plane would need so much maintenance that I doubt anyone would buy it. New props, engines would need a strip and repair, engine mounts would need crack testing at least, and the repairs to the belly (hopefully just skins). For the price of those repairs, you could have a flying one.

The story I heard is that the FAA are investigating. The decision to go-around after props hit the ground, and apparently they weren't notified....

That was an incredibly stupid stunt he pulled, taking it back up again. According to the story I read about the incident, the pilot flew to a nearby airport with a hard surface (asphalt) runway for some reason, where he safely landed (wheels down this time).

This field, where he managed to pull off the lowest pass in history, is hardpan dirt.

Don't modern aircraft have some kind of warning system to prevent this?
Many WW2 era aircraft had audible warnings. At least WW2 era pilots had the excuse that many of them had trained on aircraft with fixed gear, so lowering an undercarriage would not be second nature, at least on initial conversion.
Cheers
Steve

I read somewhere that the indicator showed a "down" landing gear, apparently a false indication, thats a lucky pilot. Besides himself he put others in danger.

Don't modern aircraft have some kind of warning system to prevent this?
Many WW2 era aircraft had audible warnings. At least WW2 era pilots had the excuse that many of them had trained on aircraft with fixed gear, so lowering an undercarriage would not be second nature, at least on initial conversion.
Cheers
Steve

Depending on the aircraft, the landing gear warning horn is tied into either the airspeed system or manifold pressure. I've seen some aircraft where the warning horn goes off if you go full flaps with the landing gear in the up position. There's been many YouTube clips with people landing gear up and you could hear the horn going off and all in the plane are oblivious to it! Here's one of them.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hMn7ZweF6s

Last edited:
I read somewhere that the indicator showed a "down" landing gear, apparently a false indication, thats a lucky pilot. Besides himself he put others in danger.

When you're flying an aircraft like this you can feel and hear the landing gear in transit, plus you will slow down as soon as the landing gear hits the airstream, so I don't buy that if this guy is using this as an excuse.

Last edited:
When you're flying an aircraft like this you can feel and hear the landing gear in transit, plus you will slow down as soon as the landing gear hits the airstream, so I don't buy that if this guy is using this as an excuse.
With an aircraft as slippery as the Aerostar, it would be hard to maintain the correct airspeed on approach with the gear up. That's what saved me.

Yup! I also understand engine out maneuvers are nerve racking if not dangerous! Check out this genius! This happened last year about 40 miles fro where I live.

Witness Says Plane Was Doing Stunts Before Fatal Crash « CBS Denver

I've heard the opposite - that as long as everything's done by the book, there's no problem. It's no trainer aircraft, and not to be messed with, just a very high performance piston twin, but not dangerous. Guess that's just perception.

Here's a piece of useless information. The rudder, left elevator, and right elevator are all identical.

Last edited:
I've heard the opposite - that as long as everything's done by the book, there's no problem. It's no trainer aircraft, and not to be messed with, just a very high performance piston twin, but not dangerous. Guess that's just perception.

Here's a piece of useless information. The rudder, left elevator, and right elevator are all identical.

Yep - I guess because it has such a high accident rate, but you're right, if it's flown by the book there should be no issues - but try telling that to a doctor or lawyer! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back