Oshkosh 2022

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Couple more

DSC_0014.JPG

The Mustang below is a reduced in size one to one drawing built at 70 percent from the original size drawing. Every thing was hand made all way down to the individual rivets. Plane was built in Germany. Flown by transport to US and reassembles here in Wisconsin for the Airshow.

DSC_0039.JPG
DSC_0899.JPG

You mentioned a new lens. May I ask what lens as it's doing an excellent job

Afternoon Glider, Most of the shots in the air I am taking with a Sigma 150-600mm lens for a Nikon 3200D camera. I now have 4 different lens that will work on the base but the Sigma is my newest one. In years past I used a Nikon DX 55-300mm lens but I also have a Nikon DX 55-200mm lens. My son now uses the 55-300mm lens on a D3400 base. Of which both are actually my camera's but I let him use one ;)

Here is the Sigma lens installed.

HPIM3659.JPG

Last edited:
These shots below where taken with a Nikon 18 to 55mm DX lens. Most of my ground shots are with this lens. Of which the D3400 also has this lens as well

DSC_0009.JPG
DSC_0010.JPG
DSC_0011.JPG

Last edited:
Let us know the verdict on that lens for flying shots. I'm limited to 300mm right now and find that it's not enough for many shots.
Will do, so far I like it but its heavy, about 4.5 lbs. So far I have not found a really good setting for prop blur. My normal settings has to be perfectly still otherwise the picture blurs which I was using around 300. Top one was at around 500 for shutter speed. Bottom one was at 1500 shutter speed. You have to be perfectly still to get good prop blur at 500 for that setting which in wind and moving aircraft almost impossible. Some times I can get some to start like bottom one but most of time it looks like propeller stationary and plane suspended in air. Clarity wise though the higher speed looks tons better. Currently my camera is setup to take picture of about 7 meg per shot though I reduce that for message board. I could double if not triple the file sizer per shot but so far have not mess with it. I use a 32 gig sim card so I could if I wanted to go bigger.

Jets.jpg
test 2.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah I read about that rig being heavy. Was looking into it a couple of years back. I find that good prop blurs have have a setting of 1/250 or slower but camera shake is a real issue there. This was taken last Saturday at 1/250 on my Canon 70-300 zoom with Image Stabilization:

IMG_2820 Resized.jpg

Last edited:
Afternoon Glider, Most of the shots in the air I am taking with a Sigma 150-600mm lens for a Nikon 3200D camera. I now have 4 different lens that will work on the base but the Sigma is my newest one. In years past I used a Nikon DX 55-300mm lens but I also have a Nikon DX 55-200mm lens. My son now uses the 55-300mm lens on a D3400 base. Of which both are actually my camera's but I let him use one ;)

Here is the Sigma lens installed.

View attachment 679305
Thank you, the results speak for themselves.

Yeah I read about that rig being heavy. Was looking into it a couple of years back. I find that good prop blurs have have a setting of 1/250 or slower but camera shake is a real issue there. This was taken last Saturday at 1/250 on my Canon 70-300 zoom with Image Stabilization:

View attachment 679311

Great shot, yeah there seems to be a trade off that's for sure. The negative part of this lens is minimum of 150. Which is why I am glad I have two camera's though like I said my son using my second one right now. So switching lens can be a pain. The good news though was when I bought the lens it was on sale for 25% off so I am not going to complain to much as I love the clarity. Just have to deal with the trade off for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back