P-38: What are these marks?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crimea_River

Marshal
Nov 16, 2008
Calgary
Noted on several pics with examples circled in red. Not all P-38s have them but many do. They show up on painted and unpainted aircraft. Anyone have a clue what these are?

P38 1.JPG
P38 2.JPG
P38 3.JPG

I suspect the cover plates weren't flat, but we're a raised surface, which either caught sunlight or may have been unpainted (if replaced during maintenance).

Compare GTX's illustration to the three photos posted.
Not only do the horizontal series of "dots" appear, but the cover at the upper rudder hinge appears in all the photos and even the lower cover at the lower rudder hinge appears as a "dot" in the second photo down (gonna have to squint for that one, but it's there).

Here is a close up shot of the panels. Judging by other pictures I have seen these markings weren't on all planes. It seems thase could appear on the P-38s that were already in service. So it wouldn't be not the factory markings rather but a field one made by maintenance crews.

p-38-tail.jpg

the source: the net.

Slightly off topic, but I remember seeing the same thing on a picture of the XP-67 "Moonbat", taken in planform, from above while in flight. Always wondered what all these little light colored dots were around the perimeter.

Edit: Found the picture:

mcdonnell-xp-67-top.jpg

Interesting stuff guys and thanks for the input. I will need to replicate these in my GB 50 build as they show up on my subject. I like the idea if maintenance stickers and so will maybe cut up some small pieces if decal to make them.

Interesting stuff guys and thanks for the input. I will need to replicate these in my GB 50 build as they show up on my subject. I like the idea if maintenance stickers and so will maybe cut up some small pieces if decal to make them.
But do you know any qualified inspectors who'll stamp the stickers for you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back