P-51 Mustang in unusual camo

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Tengu, this was the first batch of P-51s to enter service with the USAAF. These had no letter after the P-51, hence they were just known as P-51s. The first batch was sent to England and were known as Mustang Is and were armed with four 50 caliber Brownings and four 30 caliber Brownings. Two 50s under the chin, which had a bulged faring, and one in each wing and two 30s in each wing. The Apache had six 50 caliber, two under the chin, with no farings, and two in each wing. Another easy way to tell an Apache is the landing lights, both of which are mounted in a double fixture on the left wing. Hope this helps. And if I have goofed here, someone please correct me.
Excuse me, but has NO ONE corrected the info on this aircraft all this time. It's an NA-91 aircraft, 92 of which went to the RAF under Lend Lease and 58 to the US ( 1 to USN and 57 to USAAF) as "P-51" (no letter suffix --- already mentioned) "Apaches." They officially became Mustangs in the USAAF in July, 1942.

The RAFs were named "Mustang Mk IA" --- most of the USAAF's P-51 Mustangs became Tac-R aircraft after cameras were added in 3 (maybe more) locations in the US, and a couple years later were redesignated "F-6As." They kept their four 20 mm Hispano Mk II cannons (license-built by Oldsmobile), even after cameras were added. Two of the NA-91s became the XP-51B Mustang prototypes when Merlins and 4-bladed props were adapted to the airframe, along with cooling system and other changes. The one that went to the USN became a "chase plane" and sorta "never was heard of again."

The NA-97 A-36A Mustang followed the NA-91 aircraft and were NEVER officially named ANYTHING but "Mustang," although some of the pilots and groundcrewmen in the 27th FBG in the MTO wanted them renamed "Invaders," but Douglas already had that name on their excellent A-26 Invader.

What else can I tell you? OH, and I have scans of historical documents, most of which came from the USAAF and NAA, so they're PRIMARY sources, which naturally I trust over anything you can read in Wikipedia or on websites.

Please reply to me if I've made any errors in my clarification above --- I'm only human and mistype stuff alllll the time! ;)

Thanks.

MustangTMG

rivets-pile-zinc-plated-pile-34544728.jpg

sorry was just counting

Users who are viewing this thread

Back