P-61 Black Widow Pictures

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Reminds me of that B-29 that was salvaged and rebuilt on location. They got it running and ready for takeoff then while it was taxiing there was an electrical short somewhere near the tail and the whole thing just burned to the ground. I think that plane may yet fly but as to if it should or not. That choice belongs to those who put their time and money into it.

I remember reading about that too Night Fighter Nut.

gents the black paint was crap it did not take much to pull the stuff off. many of the 9th AF Widows look like hell as there were very few spare parts, nothing came in new and they flew the crates till they fell apart. I knew the chap flying Wabash cannonball 3 and 4. he was the CO of the 425th nfs. Interviewed quite at length when he took me to his home , met his charming wife and sat over a good cup of coffee.........may stories to tell

I found a picture of the fellow you are refering to I think.

Last edited:
That third photo of yours made the cover of Life magazine as I recall and that damaged plane you have, photo number 13, is Midnight Madness. This plane was damaged when the Spook landed on top of it in a fog. I have the corresponding photo where you can see Midnight Madness in the back ground. No one was killed during this accident as I recall. Here are a few photos from my stash of P-61 shots.

Attachments

• 4485352311_a7a93a5803_o.JPG
    4485352311_a7a93a5803_o.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 216
  • 4488510751_2b8973e664_o.JPG
    4488510751_2b8973e664_o.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 238
  • creep.JPG
    creep.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 238
  • endofspook.JPG
    endofspook.JPG
    211.1 KB · Views: 234
  • incoming.JPG
    incoming.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 222
  • mariannas.JPG
    mariannas.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 225
  • P-61Turret.JPG
    P-61Turret.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 225
  • radara.JPG
    radara.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 226
interesting to see the ones on the other pages with original negs, nearly 3/4's of the pics have been published in mags and books in the past

'the Spook' crashed as above but minus the scanned file-reinforcing-ring 'in' foreground;
Picasa Web Albums - Mark - Iwo Jima
(great set, minimal P-61 though)
and re bare metal back at head of thread; from Gmasher's annotations of similar on footnote;
'P-61A 42-5531 'personalized' for MGEN Earl W. Barnes, 13th Fighter Command. Stripped to a natural metal finish, a ferry tank was permanently installed in place of the dorsal turret. The plexiglass radome was replaced with a custom made metal fairing; the 20mm cannons were also removed, and an ADF 'football' antenna installed on the belly.'
steven

Last edited:
interesting when I interviewed the CO of the 425th nfs flying Wahbash Cannonb. every one of the pics taken were property totally for the 425th nfs and copyrighted as such so any and all pics pertaining to the 425th nfs should not be shown on the net without proper permission of the 425thnfs representative.........sorry guys but copyright rules are being broken even within the nara holdings

Users who are viewing this thread

Back